sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 31, 2019 12:01 pm  #1

CBC Radio's "Under The Influence" Returns On Thursday

I know there are some here who are big fans of the Terry O'Reilly-hosted "Under the Influence," CBC Radio's show about advertising, marketing and the media. It's been gone since its final episode aired last June, but returns for a brand new season on Thursday at 11:30 AM. (With a replay on Saturdays at the same time.) 

I almost always learn something from this show and it's one of my few "Must Listen-To" programs of the week. Nice to see it back after a nearly 7-month airwaves absence. 

You can hear a brief preview of what's coming here.  

December 31, 2019 12:08 pm  #2

Re: CBC Radio's "Under The Influence" Returns On Thursday

It's an excellent program. An essential tool in teaching how the media works on the mind.

December 31, 2019 12:13 pm  #3

Under the Influence, (and its predecessor The Age of Persuasion), is hands down the best half-hour of radio, anywhere on the dial, in any given week.

I have learned the fascinating backstory to so many everyday things from listening to that show.

December 31, 2019 12:28 pm  #4

I might be the lone dissenter here, but...

I used to love the show but ever since the debacle of the broadcast involving the cruise ship accident, I haven't been able to listen to the program and take any of it at face value and believe its accurate.  I seem to be the only one who holds this opinion, but the thing is, when you have the heft of the CBC behind you, accuracy should be expected.

Perhaps this, alone, demonstrates the program's main premise.  People are willing to overlook being lied to when they are being courted by persuasive arguments.  After all, we see this every election.

December 31, 2019 12:38 pm  #5

What was the cruise ship accident incident you're referring to? Can't say I recall that one.  

December 31, 2019 1:49 pm  #6

It was the costa concordia accident from 2012.

The transcript is up on CBC's website:

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/undertheinfluence/marketing-in-a-crisis-1.2801864

I've got the original broadcast somewhere but what I remember is that the date was wrong. It has since been corrected but for some reason, considering the big deal made of the date being a Friday the 13th, it's always rankled me.

December 31, 2019 2:55 pm  #7

Peter the K wrote:

It was the costa concordia accident from 2012.

The transcript is up on CBC's website:

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/undertheinfluence/marketing-in-a-crisis-1.2801864

I've got the original broadcast somewhere but what I remember is that the date was wrong. It has since been corrected but for some reason, considering the big deal made of the date being a Friday the 13th, it's always rankled me.

I do not begrudge them what I would consider to be a fairly insignificant error. Other than the association with a dubious superstition, it played no role in the story, and certainly no role in the angle they were covering which was brand damage control. Furthermore, I do not recall ever hearing that odd coincidence being mentioned at the time of the accident.