sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 24, 2019 12:00 pm  #1

Glad tidings, good cheer this time of year. The big station give-back

Indie 88 recently donated old Babsocks (he got fired a month or so ago) to the City's homeless, City TV just did a live broadcast for the Daily Bread Food Bank, from Yorkdale Mall last Friday and of course there is the Chum/City Christmas wish...what was your most memorable moment of your big station give back prior to the holidays? What happened and what was the impact...???

Time for little sharing to warm our hearts on this Christmas Eve Day...(just before I get in a fight over a parking spot at the LCBO in a few moments) (Smiling)...

Here is the piece on Indie 88 and the sock donation...

https://www.fyimusicnews.ca/articles/2019/12/12/indie-88-babsocks-helping-torontos-homeless

Enjoy the holidays and the Yule Tide Fire Log on T.V. and the re-rolls tomorrow...at least the Raptor's game is on!

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

December 24, 2019 5:46 pm  #2

Re: Glad tidings, good cheer this time of year. The big station give-back

I was involved with the Sun Times CFOS Christmas Fund Broadcast for 8 years. This is a 7 hour live event in front of an audience from the Roxy Theatre in Owen Sound, first Sunday in December.  They just had their 80th Anniversary of the broadcast a few weeks ago. When I was involved broadcasts were from the Owen Sound Vocational Institute High School (OSCVI).

Staff from the Sun Times newspaper and CFOS volunteered to handle the phones and set up for the broadcast, and greet people as they came into the theatre.

Basically the broadcast consists of local performers donating their time and entertaining the audience from 2 in the afternoon until about 9 pm at night. Listeners call in to pledge money, or to challenge other organizations or people to match their pledge. When I was involved all money raised went to specific charities in Grey Bruce and to area retirement homes.

The morning personality, talk show host, mid morning and afternoon drive announcers would all host for an hour or two and it was a good experience for any on air personality. You needed to keep things moving, announce pledges, interview the performers, try to be entertaining, have some fun but be sincere and focus on the purpose of the show. The live broadcast got you out of the comfort zone of the studio and into the real world.  Even had to wear a jacket, shirt and tie if you hosted!

Usually there was a couple of hundred people in the audience, and listeners would drop by all during the broadcast with pledges or just to watch.  We always raised anywhere from 20 to 30 thousand every year depending on the weather. For people in the Grey Bruce area the Sun Times CFOS Christmas Fund Broadcast really kicks off the yuletide season and is a Christmas tradition.  

I would like to wish all of you a very Merry Christmas and Happy Holiday!  All the best to you and family, with much happiness, love,  prosperity, and good health in the days and the year ahead. 

December 24, 2019 7:05 pm  #3

paterson1 wrote:

I would like to wish all of you a very Merry Christmas and Happy Holiday!  All the best to you and family, with much happiness, love,  prosperity, and good health in the days and the year ahead. 

I send the same sentiments to you patterson1 and all Sowny members.  I have appreciated and learned a great deal from all of you.

To RA...my warmest wishes.

Last edited by Media Observer (December 24, 2019 7:06 pm)

December 24, 2019 8:46 pm  #4

Thank you Media Observer and to all who have had some kind words (and occasionally not so kind!) this past year. I appreciate all your support and your posts.

You make SOWNY what it is. (I'm still not entirely sure just WHAT it is, but you guys are the ones who make it that way in any event!)

Happy holidays to all our posters and lurkers.