sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 24, 2019 2:40 pm  #1

Greg Brady Talks Sports On GNR640. But Should He?

Just for the record, I like Greg Brady. I think he’s a pretty good broadcaster and sounds great on the air. But after listening to his fill-in work on GNR640, I have to wonder: does he know he’s no longer working for an all-sports station?

Every time I hear him taking someone’s place, the show is filled with endless sports references, regardless of topic. ("He hit a home run there!” “It was a Hail Mary pass for sure.” “He was nearly in the end zone.” etc. etc.)

Those are just figures of speech but they seem to constantly figure in his shows. Far worse, though, is his endless penchant for doing sports topics. On Tuesday, for example, he started out the 1 PM hour with a long discussion on how the L.A. Clippers are always playing second fiddle to the Lakers.

He then moved on to another yarn about former NHLer Jeremy Roenick, suspended for some unfortunate comments he made in a podcast about some colleagues in broadcasting.

It was yet another sports-related topic. I’m sure he’s exercising the wise dictum that you should go with what you know. But he’s no longer on the Fan – and he hasn’t signed up with TSN 1050. It’s one thing to do it once in a blue moon. But this is every time he appears.

I don’t listen to 640 to hear sports topics any more than I would tune in CHFI to hear Led Zeppelin. I wonder why his producers don’t remind him of that more often.

December 24, 2019 3:07 pm  #2

Re: Greg Brady Talks Sports On GNR640. But Should He?

RadioActive wrote:

I don’t listen to 640 to hear sports topics any more than I would tune in CHFI to hear Led Zeppelin 

At the risk of being chastised for using this opportunity to ask an unrelated question (go ahead, chastise away) . . . where on the dial can one turn to hear Led Zeppelin over the next 36 hours? 

geo

December 24, 2019 3:09 pm  #3

Your best bet is still Q107! Especially Stairway to Heaven. After all, couldn't Heaven be seen as part of a Christmas music theme?

And by the way, I should add that I still prefer Greg Brady (or anyone else) doing a live show, instead of the Jim Richards/Evan Soloman rerolls CFRB is airing as we inch closer to Christmas Eve. This is not unusual - happens every Dec. 24th & 25th - but these are the dullest 24-48 hours of radio for the entire year. 

December 24, 2019 5:45 pm  #4

RadioActive wrote:

Your best bet is still Q107! Especially Stairway to Heaven. After all, couldn't Heaven be seen as part of a Christmas music theme?    

Absolutely, thx to the 3 men I admire most:   Jimmy Page, Robert Plant and the Holy Ghost

geo