sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 27, 2016 11:21 pm  #1

Bell tells staff to downplay new $25 basic TV package ordered by CRTC

If what the CBC is reporting is true, they're even more odious a company than they seemed - and that's saying something! The story also contains a denial from Rogers that they're doing the exact same thing. All this, despite the fact that the CRTC has ordered all cable and sat providers to publicize the new skinny basic, which starts on Tuesday.

It doesn't really matter if you like the new tier or think it's a ridiculous sop to consumers that won't change anything. If Bell is going to openly flout the new rules with no repercussions than the CRTC looks a bunch of impotent fools and Bell the defiant and arrogant dictator we so often see when it comes to "playing by the rules." 

CBC: Bell tells staff to downplay new $25 basic TV package ordered by CRTC

February 27, 2016 11:37 pm  #2

Re: Bell tells staff to downplay new $25 basic TV package ordered by CRTC

S.O.B.'s

Anyone surprised by this....

You think their cable-cousins over at Rogers are any better ??

I ranted several weeks ago about the "customer service" offered by these two

customer service my a$$ 

February 28, 2016 12:48 am  #3

It's called "Customer Abuse."   Get with the program!

February 28, 2016 3:08 am  #4

Mike Cleaver wrote:

It's called "Customer Abuse."   Get with the program!

I don't have any issues with Rogers at this time, but bell could be a lot better. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

February 28, 2016 9:06 am  #5

RB reported on skinny basic. Only Rogers package though. They said that Bell wasn't revealing for competitive reasons.

Competitive Reasons? Never heard the before. Must mean it would cost the company money to be forthcoming so for that reason we are leaving you in the dark.... uhh thanks.

February 28, 2016 5:23 pm  #6

Mark Towhey very briefly brought this up at the tail end of his CFRB show on Sunday. He only took three calls and - surprise! - every caller that got on the air talked about Rogers, and not Bell. Must be a coincidence, of course.

There was one interesting statement made that the host let slip by without probing further. The final anonymous caller identified himself as a Rogers customer rep. and confirmed his colleagues have been told not to bring up Skinny Basic with customers unless they specifically ask about it themselves. And he admitted that the way the re-jigged packages are structured are designed to make it more expensive to go the new route.

Hands up anyone who finds this surprising.

The few who got through seemed to believe true Pick and Pay, which won't kick in until later this year, is the only way they'll save money. My guess is they'll be disappointed when the time comes.

February 28, 2016 5:32 pm  #7

RadioActive wrote:

My guess is they'll be disappointed when the time comes.

What's that you say ??

February 28, 2016 6:43 pm  #8

I understand that the companies are mandated to provide this service, that's a discussion in itself, but the fact that there's outrage that they aren't pushing it as much as they should, or that they are being mandated to push it at all, is ridiculous.   I get it, a disenfranchised and IMHO miniscule but loud contingent scream that the services cost too much.  There, you got your deal.   Be quiet.   

I've never walked into a car dealership, a hotel, a restaurant, or anywhere else and been told "here's the menu, but if you don't want to spend money, buy this, it's cheap'.  At some point in this nanny state, people need to be responsible for their own choices and decisions.  Content from a BDU isn't a god given right.  Put up an antenae and get the local stations off-air if you must.  And if they aren't available, that's a far different discussion than holding BDU's responsible for delivering government mandated content.

"I'd like to buy a porsche please.."   Of Course sir, but why not consider this shitty Corola instead.  It'll get you where you need to go.

As I said, the fact that the BDU's are forced to provide this service at all is amazing, but the fact that they also are expected to inform and educate that it exists, not to mention push it, is right up there with Hydro having to raise rates in one breath, and recommending people not use or at least cut back useage of their services in another.

(In the interest of openness It's worth pointing out, among others, I work for Bell, I get paid for working for Bell, I like working for Bell, but some of my home services are also with Rogers and Telus.  All three are great companies who I've done work with in the past.  Corus and Astral are also companies I've done work with in the past.  (Ahem).  Anyway, These opinons are my own, not a result of any corporate positioning or cool-ade I've been force fed by the various organizations.  I'm all for paying a fair buck for what I consider to be a fair service, and if that balance isn't there, I'm capable of doing something about it.  As, I believe, are most folks.  I'm tired of people whining and bitching about how much they pay for something, then complaining that the 'discount' version of the product they invariably buy is 'cheap' and 'inferiror'   Get your priorities straight.)

Last edited by ig (February 28, 2016 6:48 pm)

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

February 28, 2016 6:48 pm  #9

Well put; that's why you're the quarterback on the Sunday $$$ Show

February 28, 2016 6:56 pm  #10

Coming up after this victory..  'skinny internet basic'  

Then god knows what.  skinny transit basic, skinny rent basic, skinny cell service basic, skinny parking basic, skinny blue jays and leafs basic,  

We now have 'Skinny Ontario post sec. education' basic. 

How dare anyone make a profit on Canadian citizens by taking their money.   Why not do it the way the weasels in Ottawa and Queens Park do it,  tax it or steal it.

geo wrote:

Well put; that's why you're the quarterback on the Sunday $$$ Show

February 28, 2016 10:34 pm  #11

With all due respect to our illustrious moderator, no one said these companies don't have the right to make a profit. And yes, everyone has the ability to cut the cord. But where exactly is the line between making a decent profit using what is a de facto monopoly spread among three companies and gouging? I suppose it's up to the consumer to decide.

There's also something to be said for at least trying to address the intent that the CRTC had in mandating this thing, however misguided or naive the Commission may have been. And on that note, Bell has finally, finally revealed its skinny basic package. And it's barely a TV snack, let alone a TV dinner. There's not a single U.S. network in it (although to be fair, the CRTC didn't require that) and it's filled with channels that aren't worth $1.10 let alone $24.95 a month, including 10 French channels, a weather outlet and the goings-on at Queen’s Park.

Skinny? This is downright bulimic. See it here.

It's pretty clear they included the barest of minimums in it to ensure no one in their right mind would take it. Rogers has certainly put itself in the driver's seat for anyone interested in the cheaper option. At least they have most of the American nets. 

An article in the Star would seem to support my conclusions, noting Bell appears to be deliberately giving the middle finger to the new tier. “They’re working to give it a stillbirth,” [one expert] said of the roll-out, calling it “retrograde,” “begrudging” and “behind 1970s standards.”

And we may not have heard the last of this, according to CRTC Chair Jean-Pierre Blais. From the Star: "If the CRTC deems some companies to be disregarding the intent of the decision, the regulator will take action against them."

Could still be some interesting times ahead. Not that you'll see any of them on Bell's basic starter package.

T.O. Star: Bell’s TV Starter package is now only $25 — but will anyone want it?

Last edited by RadioActive (February 28, 2016 10:47 pm)

February 29, 2016 12:42 pm  #12

RadioActive wrote:

With all due respect to our illustrious moderator      

according to CRTC Chair Jean-Pierre Blais  "If the CRTC deems some companies to be disregarding the intent of the decision, the regulator will take action against them."

Well it's nice and I am so glad  to see Monsieur Blais was and is prepared for the any disingenuous activity by the likes of Bell. Bless his heart...

Wasn't it Verizon, the American giant  who just a year or two ago were said to be eyeing buying bandwidth and moving to Canada to start up to compete with these local fellows?? Do you remember the hue and cry, the gnashing of teeth, the sky-is-going-to-fall attitude of our Canadian operations ?? The "....oh please-please-please....don't let them in..." attitude ???  It was sickening...enough to make you puke...

Do you remember back in the day when Bell MADE YOU stay up 'til 11 p.m. so you could get a semi-decent rate on a long distance telephone call ??? Do you remember that Iain ???

Do you remember the fantastic "negative billing"  scenario that Rogers got caught at and was badly scolded for not so many years ago ?? Iain...remember that too ???

These jokers need help to run their operations that is obvious.  Because if they don't get the guidance and oversight  they need they show only slightly better than thuggish behavior towards Canadians. 

I rest my case...for now...

February 29, 2016 12:49 pm  #13

I was surprised to hear Dave Agar on Bell's CFRB address this issue on Monday.

He explained that in addition to the skinny basic being offered by the parent company being more than skinny, if you're on satellite and want the cheaper option, you're forced to rent an HD receiver or a PVR for an extra $7-15 a month.

And if you're on Bell Fibe, you also have to use the company as your Internet provider, upping the cost an extra $64.95 a month! In that context, the supposedly less expensive skinny basic alternative would cost subscribers $89.90 every 30 days. Some cheaper alternative that is...

The bottom line - this was designed by Bell to fail and it most certainly will. And by the way, without actually criticizing his masters, Agar wryly noted on air that he didn't think this new package was for him.  

February 29, 2016 12:51 pm  #14

I do remember those days, because circuits were limited, business used them during the day, and the lower rates could be accommodated because of the time of day.   And there's nothing wrong with that.    Shouldn't a free market system be based on people not wanting to buy something therefore the provider is forced to sell it for less, rather than people not wanting to pay for something so they appeal to the regulator to force lower prices for that product?

I want an Audi Q5.  It's $53,000.  That's too much.  Choice #1 is to buy something I can afford, choice #2 is to appeal for government price controls to bring it down to $18k so that i can have one.

I'd like a house on the Bridle Path.  The one I like comes in at $13,900,000.00 .  I can't afford it, but I should be able to, so I appeal to the government for skinny basic real estate so that I can pick it up for $120k.

My regular shit disturbing nature aside, I truly don't understand the logic or the sense of entitlement.

unclefester wrote:

Do you remember back in the day when Bell MADE YOU stay up 'til 11 p.m. so you could get a semi-decent rate on a long distance telephone call ??? Do you remember that Iain ???
Do you remember the fantastic "negative billing"  scenario that Rogers got caught at and was badly scolded for not so many years ago ?? Iain...remember that too ???
These jokers need help to run their operations that is obvious.  Because if they don't get the guidance and oversight  they need they show only slightly better than thuggish behavior towards Canadians. 
I rest my case...for now...

February 29, 2016 2:27 pm  #15

Iain, you make a good point, but there’s at least one area where it fails. Yes, I’m able to put up an antenna and avoid gluttonous greedy pigs like Bell and Rogers. And I have. A Canadian cable bill has never crossed my path, nor will it. But an awful lot of people don’t have that option.

There are hundreds of thousands of residents who live in apartment complexes or condos who are forced to pay the likes of Bell and Rogers if they want to receive any TV at all. It’s especially bad when it comes to Rogers. These places long ago gave up the store to the Big Red Machine, giving them a complete and total monopoly on their buildings. In many cases, they mandate that you can’t put up a satellite dish because of conformity standards or some perceived damage that might result to the building. And outdoor antennas are completely forbidden.

And while your analogy of buying a cheaper car is fine, you could even take it further and suggest those who can’t afford any automobile ride the TTC. Except these hostages have no TTC. Instead, property owners have given Rogers carte blanche to run these buildings. Go with them – or go without.

Now perhaps you’ll say that no one needs to have access to television, but to most it’s become something of a necessity. And not everyone, especially seniors, has the tech savvy to figure out how to get everything off the Internet (which Bell and Rogers also pretty much control.)

I know plenty of people in this situation and while most accept it as part of the price (an ever-increasing price) of living there, a fair number are pissed off and are frustrated because they can’t do anything about it. Their only choice is find another place to live and frankly, I don’t know of anyone who would move just to get away from Rogers. (Well, O.K., I probably would, but I’m the exception to that rule.)

So at some point, the regulator has to move in and contain these greed mongers. It’s the same scenario we saw during the summer blackout of 2003, where some unscrupulous store owners were charging $15 for a bottle of water, simply because they could. It’s called gouging and whether it’s technically against the law or not, it’s morally unsupportable and I’m sure just about everyone agrees it’s over the line.

Don’t get me wrong. I’m no fan of the CRTC. They’ve screwed up broadcasting in this country for years. (For example, the U.S. had colour TV in 1958, while we waited until late 1966 (!) because the dithering government here couldn't decide how to proceed. And don't get me started on what they did to CKLW in its "Big 8" days...) So while I normally hate political intervention in broadcasting, at some point you have to draw that aforementioned line to protect those under the thumb of overbearing, money-hungry monopoly Goliaths that these same regulators sadly let grow into the irresponsible monoliths they now are.

Just my two cents.

Of course, if Bell and Rogers get their way, that would go up to $4,305 a month and you'd also have to rent their DVR... 

Last edited by RadioActive (February 29, 2016 2:39 pm)

February 29, 2016 2:36 pm  #16

Your point about apartments is well taken, but isn't that the fault of the apartment owners signing exclusive contracts.  If someone living in an apartment can't get CBC or CTV off-air, then that's a matter for the commission to take up with those broadcasters.   If the government want to go up against Rogers or Bell or whomever because their licensed off-air signals aren't available properly, I have no problem with that.  But don't go against the bdu for not making them easily available.

There are also subsidies available for the TTC for families who can't afford it, including letting kids under 13 on for free etc.   Maybe a cable tv subsidy for families earning under $nn,xxx a year?  

Your point about being morally unsupportable is bang on though, and you can't legislate morality.  Those who charged $15 for a bottle of water did so, and had their own conscience to live with.  And I'm sure some slept pretty well knowing they had a few extra dollars in their bank accounts.  Ofcourse the families who had power, and drove across the city and poured out of the Lexus' to grab whatever 'free' stuff they could are right up there with the water suppliers.

Maybe in the long term, the mistake was the CRTC backing off on terrestrial broadcasters having to maintain good signal coverage, but the current penalizing the messenger because the message isn't clear is just silly.

BTW why isn't XM/Sirius also forced to offer a 'skinny basic' since the service delivers CBC and other unavailable Canadian broadcast signals to places all across Canada that don't have coverage.    A $4 a month charge for only the spoken word channels would make all the difference to people in outlying communities.  Since the CBC hasn't lived up to making content available to all people in Canada, why not force Sirius to take a price cut on a subscription package and do the job for the corp.

February 29, 2016 3:15 pm  #17

ig wrote:

because circuits were limited, business used them during the day, and the lower rates could be accommodated because of the time of day. 

a free market system   

That's an intersting take on things...Where have we in Ontario seen that story  before ??  Oh yea...the Wynne goverenment and their time-of-day hydro rates...a popular program that has  really been fully embraced by all residents of Ontario...who are heard repeating loudly......over and over again......."give us more of that shite"...

And as far as a free enterprise system with Rogers and Bell....not there yet but a baby step closer....closer still when Canaidans have true pick-and-pay on December 1st.

Go get 'em Monsieur Blais...

Last edited by unclefester (February 29, 2016 3:22 pm)

February 29, 2016 3:38 pm  #18

My humble kick at the can in this discussion is that all of this has been a long time coming. Monopoly-building doesn't happen overnight.

We began with small independent local TV stations that depended on advertising for their survival. Networks were formed to provide what local budgets could not. But then, along came the cable companies (first), followed by the satellite companies (second) who offered larger audiences and additional revenue to the station owners. Oh, the siren call of bigger and better.

Subsequently, these same "distribution" companies started buying up the very broadcasters they were distributing, thus consolidating their overall control.

Next, with plenty of crocodile tears for the benefit of the CRTC, came the slashing of local news and entertainment programming, all the while crying about how unaffordable it all was. Why did they buy it all then??? Simple. To create monopolies, thus controlling all aspects from creativity to broadcasting to distribution.

Now, with the monopolies firmly in place, we're told to keep paying outrageous prices for the current packages on offer or subscribe to the skinny basic. Have you looked over the skinny basic channel selection? LOL

How we ever ended up with the distributors owning the broadcasters is beyond me. Fine job, CRTC.

Like many Canadians, I've rabidly supported 'shop Canadian' my whole adult life, but I've had it with being held ransom by these Canadian monopolies. Let American competition in.

February 29, 2016 4:38 pm  #19

Dial Twister wrote:

Like many Canadians I've had it with being held ransom by these Canadian monopolies. Let American competition in.

Wonderful post....thanks...anybody got the phone number for Verizon ??

Last edited by unclefester (February 29, 2016 4:40 pm)

February 29, 2016 6:49 pm  #20

Of course, there are plenty of people who use the so-called "grey market," which allows them to receive either Dish Network or Direct TV from the U.S. You see their dishes all over the city even though it's illegal to receive those signals here. But for many, if people are paying for the service they get, which is the hallmark of the grey market, those taking part feel they're compensating the service providers and therefore it's fine. (I'm not talking about the old card altering system, that would go down every other week.)

I've seen what some of these people are getting on their boxes. It is 1,000% better than anything available on Canadian cable. And even with the difference in the dollar, it's roughly the same price for what they get. And no simsub and forced Can Con as a bonus. It's expensive and it's not for everybody. But it IS going on and Bell is especially aggressive at going after the providers on this side of the border. 

That said, I certainly agree with Dial Twister. The CRTC gatekeepers weren't watching as the enemy sneaked through and now that they've taken over, the honchos from Hull have no idea how to fix it. The answer, to me, is simple: the more competition, the better. If that means allowing Americans or European companies or Martians in here to join the battle, so much the better. The Bells and Rogers of the world have proven they won't play fair, with copious studies confirming that Canada has the highest cell phone rates of almost any country on the planet. The reason - a lack of real competition and outright avarice from you-know-who.

In the U.S., if you don't like what your current TV provider is doing, there are no shortage of places you can go - Direct TV, Dish Network, Time Warner, Verizon, Comcast and Cox, just to name a few, will be happy to have you switch. Not all of them service all areas, but just watch what happens when one of them raises prices or drops services. People leave in droves, letting their dollars do the talking. 

Unfortunately, in Canada Bell, Rogers, and Shaw don't provide many differences in fees or choice. And so Canadians live in frustration, which grow and grow, getting less and paying more. I feel confident in saying that Rogers and Bell are the two most hated companies in the country. Just watch the newspaper comments from the general public whenever their latest outrage is reported. (Those papers that still allow comments.)  And I don't doubt for a minute that if one of them were ever to go down in flames, there wouldn't be a tear shed for either of them. When that day comes, if it comes, they will have no one to blame but themselves.

Gordon Gekko was wrong - greed isn't good. It buys you nothing but enmity.  

February 29, 2016 7:13 pm  #21

RadioActive wrote:

I feel confident in saying that Rogers and Bell are the two most hated companies in the country.   

And I feel confident in saying you're right...

February 29, 2016 8:00 pm  #22

apologies for getting slightly off-track but if there was a thread titled "most hated companies in the country" my vote would go to the Canada Protection Plan.     "If you're between the ages of 18 & 80. . . blah blah blah".    Red maple leaf logo with CPP thereon likely confuses our most vulnerable people into buying what they could easily assume is government-sponsored life insurance.   

FRAUD on a massive scale

February 29, 2016 10:50 pm  #23

Bell's offering is a giant middle finger to the CRTC.  

VCTV Valemount (CHVC-TV) is southeastern British Columbia's community television station. Programming includes community information, weather forecasts and road conditions.

CFTV Leamington

CHCO-TV, Charlotte County Television, is an independent community channel focusing on public-access content from the southern part of New Brunswick. Viewers are treated to arts, culture, sports and public affairs programs.

CHET-TV Chetwynd

Four channels NO ONE would want instead of, say, NBC, ABC, CBS and Fox.  Valemount is a tiny town in the foothills of the Rockies where no one lives and its community access channel gets national distribution in Bell's Skinny Basic package?  Someone in a boardroom in Toronto obviously said, "Let's literally make this package the worst thing in Canadian TV history." 

Last edited by Prod Guy (February 29, 2016 11:11 pm)

February 29, 2016 10:58 pm  #24

Prod Guy wrote:

Bell's offering is a giant middle finger to the CRTC.  

Four channels NO ONE would want instead of, say, NBC,ABC, CBS and Fox.

Paging CRTC Chair Jean-Pierre-Blais....paging CRTC Chair Jean-Pierre Blais....