sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 13, 2019 5:56 pm  #1

Oakley MIA Thursday and Friday this week after two weeks off

Oddly, Alex Pearson was back on for Oakley yesterday and today, his first week back from two weeks off.

December 13, 2019 6:03 pm  #2

Re: Oakley MIA Thursday and Friday this week after two weeks off

He could have been sick ?

December 13, 2019 6:27 pm  #3

Maybe TPTB deduced Oakley's listeners are heading towards the Frat Bois on RB and are grooming Ms. Cranky Resting Face to take over his tedious show. Time to retire his bell, his tagline and his "word o' the day" 32 character word.

Methinks he called Frank Leo and started packing.

December 13, 2019 6:34 pm  #4

@The Consultant

why are you such a gigantic asshole?  

December 13, 2019 8:54 pm  #5

BeatleTeunis wrote:

@The Consultant

constant snarky sarcasm may be a cover-up for those filled with jealousy , envy , insecurity , resentment , bloated ego  .....  ziggy & cGrant come to mind ....

December 13, 2019 9:35 pm  #6

BeatleTeunis wrote:

@The Consultant

A question asked by so many.

Last edited by Media Observer (December 13, 2019 9:37 pm)

December 13, 2019 9:36 pm  #7

g121 wrote:

BeatleTeunis wrote:

@The Consultant

constant snarky sarcasm may be a cover-up for those filled with jealousy , envy , insecurity , resentment , bloated ego  .....  ziggy & cGrant come to mind ....

Indeed,  a thought shared by more than one.

Last edited by Media Observer (December 13, 2019 10:14 pm)

December 13, 2019 9:50 pm  #8

Well then, how are Oakley's recent ratings?

December 14, 2019 9:13 am  #9

Has anyone seen ziggy, cGrant and theConsultant in the same room at the same time?  Just saying.

- Not an industry person.  Just a guy with a love of Toronto radio. 

December 14, 2019 1:11 pm  #10

Leslieville Bill wrote:

Has anyone seen ziggy, cGrant and theConsultant in the same room at the same time?  Just saying.

December 14, 2019 1:25 pm  #11

Nothing brings lonely people together more than a collective hatred against someone different. Ironic. isn't it? While they cry against the perceived vitriol the different poster publishes, they, themselves spout the very same thing. The difference is, I'm not demanding someone's opinions gets silenced - they are - all the while being bullies. The world is made of different points-of-view -- that's what makes the planet interesting. Disagree if you must, just don't be disagreeable.

Now, back to my question -- what are Oakley's most recent ratings?

December 14, 2019 3:28 pm  #12

Putting the 6pm TV news show on radio killed the Oakley show

December 14, 2019 4:01 pm  #13

TheConsultant wrote:

Nothing brings lonely people together more than a collective hatred against someone different. Ironic. isn't it? While they cry against the perceived vitriol the different poster publishes, they, themselves spout the very same thing. The difference is, I'm not demanding someone's opinions gets silenced - they are - all the while being bullies. The world is made of different points-of-view -- that's what makes the planet interesting. Disagree if you must, just don't be disagreeable.

you personally insult people (instead of disagreeing with their opinion), on various threads, and you complain about (what appears to be) your favorite topic... bullies? please... give us all a break! yes, we all notice you! apparently, the moment someone gives what you gave you play the victim card. cry us all a river! and yes, it's my opinion but i have a feeling others would agree. then again, you could be just typing whatever you think would get a reaction. if that's the case ... congradulations (i guess).

Last edited by the original hank (December 14, 2019 4:04 pm)

December 14, 2019 5:21 pm  #14

Which POSTERS have I insulted?

December 14, 2019 5:24 pm  #15

@TheConsultant

Every damn comment you make is a negative, piss-poor attitude.  Whenever you post, you sound like a petulant little child.  Many of us have noticed it, and are tired of your tripe.  It's not about different points of view - there are many, many debates and discussions on this board that are civil.  It's about you, not having a brain or a clever argument, just pissing on people you don't even know, to make yourself feel better.

It's actually pretty sad... you should probably just stay off the internet if you want to stop embarrassing yourself.

December 14, 2019 5:25 pm  #16

Respectfully, DFTT

December 14, 2019 5:34 pm  #17

Good post @BeatleTeunis. Your assessment of me with your vitriolic prose is lightyears more than anything I posted. But, sadly, you won't agree as you're implying you and your posse are the victims. Ironic, isn't it? When a group a self-assessed people group together in negativity, it is bullying plain and simple.

How about actually contribute something positive and lead by example? Can you do that?

Last edited by TheConsultant (December 14, 2019 5:36 pm)

December 14, 2019 5:35 pm  #18

the original hank wrote:

TheConsultant wrote:

you personally insult people (instead of disagreeing with their opinion), on various threads, and you complain about (what appears to be) your favorite topic... bullies? please... give us all a break! yes, we all notice you! apparently, the moment someone gives what you gave you play the victim card. cry us all a river! and yes, it's my opinion but i have a feeling others would agree. then again, you could be just typing whatever you think would get a reaction. if that's the case ... congradulations (i guess).

December 14, 2019 5:36 pm  #19

BeatleTeunis wrote:

@TheConsultant

Every damn comment you make is a negative, piss-poor attitude.  Whenever you post, you sound like a petulant little child.  Many of us have noticed it, and are tired of your tripe.  It's not about different points of view - there are many, many debates and discussions on this board that are civil.  It's about you, not having a brain or a clever argument, just pissing on people you don't even know, to make yourself feel better.

It's actually pretty sad... you should probably just stay off the internet if you want to stop embarrassing yourself.

December 14, 2019 5:37 pm  #20

potentiometer wrote:

Respectfully, DFTT

December 14, 2019 5:37 pm  #21

potentiometer wrote:

Respectfully, DFTT

Repetitive. But, those that breathe hate and demand silence by exclusion would rather spew vitriolic nonsense against whose that have differing views

December 14, 2019 6:03 pm  #22

TheConsultant wrote:

Which POSTERS have I insulted?

well, i didn't have to look far. out of the blue, you insulted the cobourg community station manager... and yes, he is a poster here. i've known the guy for a number of years and i have yet to see a mean side to him, so why the anger? man, you throw the word "bully" around like it's snow in a blizzard yet you fail to see it within you. if nothing else, based on many of your posts, you have "earned" the right to be pitied. in my opinion, you can't seem to get over whatever issues you're carrying around... and that truly is sad.

December 14, 2019 6:07 pm  #23

Interesting. What about Kevin is wrong? He is the station manager and, until recently, he DID work at Burger King flipping burgers. What is wrong about what I posted?

December 14, 2019 6:33 pm  #24

your lack of understanding just amplifies my pity. this so-called "gang" was created by your comments and how they are perceived (by many). the fact your writing styles (and wording) are similar (for whatever reasons) to that of other unpopular posters of the past isn't winning you many supporters (in my opinion... and for what it's worth) . perhaps you can speak to a professional who can help you realize "the problem" isn't a result of what everyone else is doing. i say this in all sincerity. the rest is up to you.

December 14, 2019 6:41 pm  #25

Thank you, Hank for your advise. I'll definitely speak to a professional in regards as to why people repeatedly want to compare and ban someone with differing opinions. I appreciate your admission in regards to bullish behavior and the fact you didn't dispute my post about Kevin. Enjoy your evening and please take care of yourself - admitting what you did takes courage.

December 14, 2019 8:17 pm  #26

First, let me apologize for not weighing in on this sooner. As some here know, I’ve been dealing with a family tragedy and it’s taken more of my time than I expected. That said, I’m not ignoring SOWNY either, because it’s a forum I very much value.

I’ve made no secret in the past that I’m not big on banning people. It just goes against the grain. I’ve had several off board complaints about the poster who calls himself “TheConsultant.” I rarely get any volume of mail like this, with most preferring to express their opinions on SOWNY itself.

In considering whether to take action against this member, I went through all 153 of his previous posts. A few of them were pretty benign. But most weren’t. When phrases like “Ms. Cranky Resting Face” and “Screaming Mimi” start turning up to describe certain on-air people and worse, derogatory remarks are made to people who complain about these comments, the question has to be asked: does it cross the line?

I have no complaint with people differing on their opinions. That’s what makes this place so interesting. But doing it in a deliberately nasty way over and over does seem to be unnecessarily provocative and an attempt to elicit angry reactions.

I – and all the others who administered this board over the years – have worked hard to foster a tone that encourages vigorous discussion but not abuse.

Another question I ask myself – has he violated the rules? The ones that govern SOWNY were actually written by former Admin. Iain Grant. They seemed so appropriate I didn’t change a word when he asked me to take over.

Among them:

-Personal attacks of any matter will be deleted.

-Keep it positive and don't be an asshole.

And finally, maybe the most apropos statement of them all:

-This is not … a democracy…  It's a private forum that users are allowed to participate in. You have no God given right to post here. If I don't like you, if I don't like your posts, either, or both will be deleted on a whim.

Iain knew a troll when he saw one. So do I. As the sometimes reluctant judge and jury of this site, I find the poster has, indeed, violated those rules repeatedly in the few short weeks he's been here.

The legacy of Ziggy and cGrant is that we lost some valuable members, some with decades of radio and TV experience, who quit in disgust at being abused and never came back. They are missed. The latter two named posters aren’t.

Therefore, before it affects the board even more negatively, I have reluctantly decided to get rid of this cancer before it grows and metastasizes here. I’m not doing this because he has different opinions. It’s the way he expresses them in the nastiest way possible that’s the problem. And it’s very clear he’s doing it on purpose.  

He may be a Consultant. Be he has no right to an Insult-ant. And while I’m sure at some point someone like him will take his place, he’s gone.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled SOWNY Board, and hopefully, its former forum decorum.

December 15, 2019 4:52 am  #27

RadioActive wrote:

He may be a Consultant. Be he has no right to an Insult-ant. And while I’m sure at some point someone like him will take his place, he’s gone.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled SOWNY Board, and hopefully, its former forum decorum.

Thanks RA, well done. 🙈🙉🙊

December 15, 2019 6:41 am  #28

How can you be assured this poster won't return under a new pseudonym? 

December 15, 2019 8:33 am  #29

laffin wrote:

How can you be assured this poster won't return under a new pseudonym? 

No system is perfect but Boardhost has tools to try and prevent that. If that happens, given his tone, it won't take long to figure it out and a second ban can be instated.

December 15, 2019 2:33 pm  #30

betaylored wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

Thanks RA, well done. 🙈🙉🙊

Once again RA,  you have handled a thankless duty with true professionalism.  While never an enjoyable task,  your recent loss makes these problems the last thing you needed on your plate.

Thank you for all you do and take care.  

Last edited by Media Observer (December 15, 2019 2:34 pm)