sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 13, 2019 10:51 am  #1

Former CHUM Producer Doug Thompson Recalls A Legendary Career

Sometime SOWNY poster Doug Thompson is the subject of a major profile on FYImusicnews.ca, and it's a fascinating look at how he got into the business, his years at CHUM, that famous Beatles documentary, and what he's up to now. 

At one point, he talks about those early years at 1050 and what he absorbed from the on-air talent:

"All of the CHUM DJ’s were great to work with.  I learned about music theory from Mike Darrow (who was a professional singer), swear words from Bob McAdorey (many of which I’d never heard before) and all about UFOs from nighttime DJ Brian Skinner.  He was a big believer, and one Saturday, the two of us drove out to Hamilton one Saturday to a farmer’s field to see a circular burnt patch of grass the farmer said was where a UFO landed.  It could have been.  Brian certainly believed."

All in all, a great read about a fascinating career filled with inside stories you never heard before. (Although I wish he'd explained that glancing reference to how he and Bobby Curtola almost got killed at an Edmonton radio station!)

A Conversation With... Doug Thompson

December 13, 2019 11:33 am  #2

Re: Former CHUM Producer Doug Thompson Recalls A Legendary Career

Great interview, and don't forget Doug's amazing CHUM Tribute Site. It's the go-to place for CHUMbugs everywhere, updated every Monday with new entries in the CHUM DJ Hall of Fame.

http://chumtribute.com

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

December 14, 2019 9:23 am  #3

Doug Thompson is one of the most creative and talented individuals that I have ever known.  Thank you Doug for everything you have done for me and others in this crazy business!!!

December 14, 2019 10:35 am  #4

A kind, fair, experienced, and intelligent man I have the pleasure of knowing. And one of the people who just keeps on keeping on! I’d love to read the new chapters to your story in 5 or 10 years.

Last edited by shurmanator (December 14, 2019 10:36 am)

December 14, 2019 9:21 pm  #5

Okay RA, just for you.  It was 1964.  I was working part time (while attending school) at CJCA in Edmonton.  CJ was the top station at the time. CHED was catching up, but not yet.  Bobby Curtola was the hottest Canadian on the charts.  He came up to CJCA in the afternoon to be interviewed on Barry Boyd's show.  After the interview, I was asked to take Bobby down the hall to the executive offices to say hi to the GM.  The station was on the 4th floor of the Birks Building in downtown Edmonton at 104th Street and Jasper Avenue.  The station shared the floor with a couple of doctors or dentists.  There was a window into the control room and a rather large group of Bobby's female fans had come up to the station to see their idol.
They followed Bobby and I down the ahll to the Exec offices which had glass doors which opened OUT into the hallway.  Bobby stopped to sign autographs and talk with his fans and the girls keep pushing he and I into the glass doors.

It got tighter and tighter and at one point, I was pretty sure I heard a small cracking sound.  I asked the girls to please step back.  Fortunately, they did.  We opened the glass doors and made it safely inside.  Bobby still remembered that moment years later when I interviewed him for my Hi-Fi Salutes TV series.  Bobby Curtola was a wonderful talent and a great guy.   

Last edited by Doug Thompson (December 14, 2019 9:23 pm)

December 14, 2019 9:25 pm  #6

Thanks Dale P., John D and Peter S (aka the shurmanator).  Very happy to know and be friends with all 3 of you.

December 14, 2019 9:31 pm  #7

Doug Thompson wrote:

Okay RA, just for you.  It was 1964.  I was working part time (while attending school) at CJCA in Edmonton.  CJ was the top station at the time. CHED was catching up, but not yet.  Bobby Curtola was the hottest Canadian on the charts.  He came up to CJCA in the afternoon to be interviewed on Barry Boyd's show.  After the interview, I was asked to take Bobby down the hall to the executive offices to say hi to the GM.  The station was on the 4th floor of the Birks Building in downtown Edmonton at 104th Street and Jasper Avenue.  The station shared the floor with a couple of doctors or dentists.  There was a window into the control room and a rather large group of Bobby's female fans had come up to the station to see their idol.
They followed Bobby and I down the ahll to the Exec offices which had glass doors which opened OUT into the hallway.  Bobby stopped to sign autographs and talk with his fans and the girls keep pushing he and I into the glass doors.

It got tighter and tighter and at one point, I was pretty sure I heard a small cracking sound.  I asked the girls to please step back.  Fortunately, they did.  We opened the glass doors and made it safely inside.  Bobby still remembered that moment years later when I interviewed him for my Hi-Fi Salutes TV series.  Bobby Curtola was a wonderful talent and a great guy.   

Great story Mr. T. and I appreciate hearing it - you should pardon the expression - from the horse's mouth!