sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 12, 2019 6:54 pm  #1

UK General Election

This was over right at 5 p.m. when all the channels called a Conservative majority based on an exit poll. I had four channels on at once - BBC, CNN, Sky and ITV. 

ITV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBpXBxK1H2M

Last edited by cash (December 12, 2019 7:09 pm)

December 12, 2019 7:07 pm  #2

Re: UK General Election

Just a cautionary note, the election calls from the networks so far are based on the exit polls from about 144 ridings. Apparently the exit polls in the UK are usually fairly accurate. The real results, and vote counting are still yet to come.

Last edited by paterson1 (December 12, 2019 7:20 pm)

December 13, 2019 12:41 am  #3

It's 4:30 a.m in the UK and there still counting the votes. Each district has an announcement with all the candidates on stage even the fringe candidates. Meanwhile, it's raining  and the BBC for some reason has reporters outside with graphics on the ground. 

December 13, 2019 9:02 am  #4

Can anyone tell me why we don't have exit polls in Canadian elections?  They seem to be a big deal in the UK and US.

- Not an industry person.  Just a guy with a love of Toronto radio. 

December 13, 2019 9:59 am  #5

Exit polls could be done here, and possibly are conducted in certain polling areas. They don't need to be handled by Elections Canada, Ontario etc. Apparently the first exit polls in UK national elections were conducted by the media. The first exit poll in the UK was in 1970 at one polling station and was the initiative of the BBC. 

The BBC, ITV and Sky News commissioned Ipsos to conduct exit polls at 144 polling stations across the UK.  There were 40,000 polling stations in last nights election.  People can be asked as they are about to vote who they will be voting for, or more likely after they have voted. The exit polls were conducted all day during voting yesterday. The cost to the media was a bit over $400,000.

I believe exit polling in the US works about the same way and is an initiative of the television and cable news networks along with AP.

Last edited by paterson1 (December 13, 2019 10:06 am)