sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 9, 2019 10:45 am  #1

Will "FrankenFM's" Disappear With Final U.S. Station Repack?

This isn't an issue in Canada, but I still found it interesting. As many here may remember, back when CBLT was on Channel 6 (and to a lesser extent, when Global's Paris, Ont'.s station was on the same frequency) anyone who tuned their FM radio high enough to around 87.7 could hear the TV audio. 

That all changed when the channels involved went digital. 

But in the U.S., a few low power channel 6 analog rebroadcasters survived and - with the help of some ingenuity - owners turned the TV outlets into radio stations, in some cases actually making a minor dent in the ratings. Now that the final repacks are approaching in spring 2020, there are questions about whether the FCC will allow those FMs of convenience to continue to exist. 

As the linked article shows, the survival of these weird TV-radio hybrids is very much in question. 

The Rise and Possible Fall of FrankenFMs

December 10, 2019 12:12 am  #2

Re: Will "FrankenFM's" Disappear With Final U.S. Station Repack?

I remember years ago listening to the late-night sportscast on CBLT when they were simulcast on 87.7. At some point, Global got 87.7 and I remember listening to the final episode of Cheers on that frequency while driving up the 401.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram