sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 2, 2019 12:47 pm  #1

Finally! Original Programming On A Toronto HD Radio Channel

This may have happened before but I can’t recall it. For the first time in my memory, someone is actually using one of their HD radio channels to broadcast original programming. Unfortunately for holiday tune haters, it’s an all Christmas music station! But at least it's something different. 

While CHFI is going round the clock Yule, iHeartradio (or in this case, Bell Media) has put up an all holiday themed commercial free station on HD4 on their CKFM signal at 99.9. It’s not likely to last longer than this month, but at least it shows that those precious spaces can be used for something other than duplicating an existing AM station.(Did they have to get CRTC permission and are there CanCon requirements?)

I’d like to see more of this, which could lead to HD Radio actually catching on in this country. I doubt most consumers will go to the expense of buying a new radio just to hear CFRB in a higher quality.

List Of Canadian HD Radio Stations

December 2, 2019 3:43 pm  #2

Re: Finally! Original Programming On A Toronto HD Radio Channel

RadioActive wrote:

(Did they have to get CRTC permission and are there CanCon requirements?)

No and no.

December 2, 2019 4:26 pm  #3

RadioAaron wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

(Did they have to get CRTC permission and are there CanCon requirements?)

No and no. 

How come? Isn't this considered a "station" under Canadian rules? It's broadcast and it's over the air, using public airwaves. I'm curious to know why it would be exempt. 

If that's not the case, then could a Canadian TV station also use its subcarriers to start a channel without a licence from the CRTC, as they do in the U.S? (Although Bell, Rogers & Corus would have no real interest in this, of course, since they want you to pay for it via a cable or satellite subscription. But perhaps a private outlet like CHCH might consider such a move.) 

December 2, 2019 5:39 pm  #4

I don't know the status of TV, but on the radio side they're still considering it experimental and letting broadcasters go wild-west with it. Regulating it would be quite the undertaking since you'd have to start considering ownership limits, specialty formats, etc. 99.9 for example, is 4 FM stations, two of them specialty and one playing very little Cancon.

So they're sitting back and seeing what happens with it naturally and whether it's got legs. They'll regulate later if it goes anywhere. (It won't)

Last edited by RadioAaron (December 2, 2019 5:41 pm)