sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 25, 2019 1:43 pm  #1

New Radio Documentary Trailer Released For Station You Never Heard Of

I love documentaries on radio stations, even if they're not places I've ever heard of. That includes the latest for KLOL, a former progressive rock radio station in Houston. (Now a Spanish format and owned by Entercom.) But back in the 70s, it was a CFNY-like free form outlet in Texas, drawing the kind of rabid listener loyalty that's almost unheard of in today's corporate culture.

The trailer makes it look like a fun show, although I suggest you skip the long financial "donate money to help us complete this project" pitch and just start right at the trailer itself. It begins around the 1:49 mark. 

KLOL Houston Documentary Trailer  

Documentary Trailer On Legendary Rocker KLOL/Houston Is Released

November 27, 2019 2:41 am  #2

Re: New Radio Documentary Trailer Released For Station You Never Heard Of

I remember them from the 80s, and earlier. They were Houston's WNEW-FM. Call letters chosen to match their 101.1 frequency. Spanish, really? Not surprising. When Hurricane Harvey passed thru south Texas, and for a few days after,  I went looking for streams from Houston broadcast stations and discovered that the US 6th largest radio market had one classic rock station -- actually, at the time a trimulcast of three exurban stations. A quick check of the Houston radio dials on Radio Locator reveals that about half of the 114 stations don't broadcast in English -- speaking of places that are becoming countries in name only.

December 6, 2019 4:43 pm  #3

Here's another one, although you may have actually heard of this place. WBCN Boston was that city's revolutionary radio station in the late 60s (every market seemed to have one.) And like CHUM-FM here, it started life as a classical music format.

And while I didn't grow up listening to it, the trailer for the documentary about it shows it's something I'd definitely watch. 

How WBCN Revolutionized Radio, Boston — And The World

[img]https://img1.wsimg.com/isteam/ip/9efc3909-466f-42f7-8fd7-94a80e8b21dc/bcn-poster27x40-2-final.jpg/:/rs=w:370,m,cg:true[/img]

December 7, 2019 10:53 pm  #4

The WBCN air checks that I have uploaded to the site are amongst the most popular. I have a lot of content from the station. Lots to explore:

Check out the madness starting at around the 27:00 minute mark of the second clip here with the Beatles Rev # 9 interspersed with some Firesign Theatre. A hilarious bit about "the straight people", an actual record store ad as well:
WBCN Part Four 

or this . The set starts with a long classical piece and then Charles L plays some rare ( at the time) Dylan recorded in mono and turns the stereo feed off and then on again. When he is turning it back on he says “plunk your magic twanger froggy” Classic 

Stereo Light Off and On

Here's a bunch of their commercials that I uploaded to You Tube. That is just a small taste

Last edited by Fitz (December 7, 2019 11:30 pm)

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/