sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 16, 2019 6:19 pm  #1

More Toronto HD Radio

88.1 now broadcasting in HD.  CBC 99.1 hopefully soon.

November 17, 2019 9:59 am  #2

Re: More Toronto HD Radio

88.1 does have a HD2 but right now it seems to be only a test feed of the main feed.

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

November 18, 2019 6:12 pm  #3

Evanov has also lite up their HD subcarrier in Brantford on 92.1, with Z103 and AM530 on HD2 and HD3 respectively.

November 18, 2019 7:01 pm  #4

Gumshoe wrote:

Evanov has also lite up their HD subcarrier in Brantford on 92.1, with Z103 and AM530 on HD2 and HD3 respectively.

When did that light up? I heard it three weeks ago when I was up in the Hamilton area.

November 18, 2019 7:53 pm  #5

Hrick wrote:

88.1 now broadcasting in HD. CBC 99.1 hopefully soon.

Interested so see what both do with this, as on the surface there isn't much point in either.

For 99.1, it would allow them to go stereo, while maintaining the clean signal being mono in analog gives them. Maybe a classical/jazz format on the HD2, or whatever else their online streaming numbers tell them has potential?

For 88.1, a cleaner signal in the core would result. There's no ratings opportunity there for an HD2.

November 18, 2019 10:39 pm  #6

fybush wrote:

When did that light up? I heard it three weeks ago when I was up in the Hamilton area.

I caught it about two weeks ago with Z103 on HD2, and silence except the AM530 text on HD3.  The HD3 audio was fixed the next day.

It was gone last week, but has re-appeared when I checked today.

November 18, 2019 10:44 pm  #7

Gumshoe wrote:

fybush wrote:

I caught it about two weeks ago with Z103 on HD2, and silence except the AM530 text on HD3.  The HD3 audio was fixed the next day.

It was gone last week, but has re-appeared when I checked today.

There was audio on both HD2 and HD3 when I heard it in the car. This would have been Oct. 27, I think, 

November 18, 2019 10:52 pm  #8

RadioAaron wrote:

Hrick wrote:

Interested so see what both do with this, as on the surface there isn't much point in either.

For 99.1, it would allow them to go stereo, while maintaining the clean signal being mono in analog gives them. Maybe a classical/jazz format on the HD2, or whatever else their online streaming numbers tell them has potential?

For 88.1, a cleaner signal in the core would result. There's no ratings opportunity there for an HD2.

I wonder if CBC would be permitted to put CBC Radio 3 or CBC Country on the sub-channel, or if they're exclusive to satellite.

November 18, 2019 10:55 pm  #9

fybush wrote:

There was audio on both HD2 and HD3 when I heard it in the car. This would have been Oct. 27, I think, 

Definitely not much earlier than that.

November 19, 2019 10:10 am  #10

Is it me or is this a niche market? I can stream most stations through an app and the quality is good. Did I miss something? 

November 19, 2019 11:48 am  #11

When I had a loaner car a month ago for a day I found that some of the HD signals sounded worse (low bitrate sound) than the analog version.  

November 19, 2019 11:49 am  #12

The CN Tower stations look to be left in the dust however Bell was proactive to setup a seperate HD antenna for Virgin/Chum.  Im guessing the rest of the stations will follow if there is room on the mast. 

November 19, 2019 12:23 pm  #13

RadioAaron wrote:

Hrick wrote:

I would argue unique content needs to be done on HD signals to see any ratings movement and marketing to push that it exists and long with a push for auto manufacturers and HD radio makers to install HD compatible radios in every car, and make them easier to use.    In the USA, markets that have unique content on their HD subchannels, do see ratings worth providing the service for.    As for sound quality on some HD signals, it depends on broadcaster, processing, etc.   Some sound better than others. 

You will never get people excited about HD if you don't offer unique content they care about.   If I can already get the content offered, why spend the money or care?   That's the true issue most Canadian providers are missing.   A national service on HD that is unique, would be better than nothing or rebroadcasting current offerings. 

Streaming is great, but as we can all remember, during an emergency streaming isn't going to cut it.  Cell Towers go down, and get overloaded.   HD on the other hand will still broadcast as long as the transmitter has power, just like the current analog broadcasts.    I think there is oportunity for those who think forward on the platform.     

Last edited by radiokid (November 19, 2019 12:30 pm)