sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 6, 2019 10:24 am  #1

The Place In Ontario Where Radio Disappeared

Imagine if every radio station in Toronto was suddenly knocked off the air. It's unlikely to ever happen, but it did in the small market of Little Current on Manitoulan Island. There's not much of a radio presence there in terms of local choices, so when an accident knocked out the transmitters for the two stations in town, the result was radio silence. 

I have no idea if they can get OTA radio from elsewhere during the day, but maybe someone here knows. (I'd also love to know what the DXing is like up there.)

Anyway, I'm not sure why, but I found this article interesting.

Radio stations knocked down, get up again with help from the industry

November 6, 2019 10:56 am  #2

Re: The Place In Ontario Where Radio Disappeared

Didn't even know Little Current had a radio station, let alone two! They should be able to pick up CKNR The Moose which has a repeater at Elliot Lake, and CJJM in Espanola which isn't far away.

Also any AM station from Sudbury would likely reach and I know that CFOS in Owen Sound would be picked up. I am sure there would be some CBC service fairly close by as well.

Last edited by paterson1 (November 6, 2019 10:58 am)

November 6, 2019 11:19 am  #3

CKLP Parry Sound might reach but not clearly.  Thats quite the bizarre story wow. 

November 6, 2019 1:36 pm  #4

Listened to both Country 103 and Hits 100 this morning. It is amazing how good both sound considering what they have been through this week. I am sure they will be even better when they get back to normal and regular power.  Like many small local stations, they are both somewhat daring musically which is great to hear. Country 103 takes requests during the noon hour, by fax, email, and I just heard a phone request! 

All the best to owners Craig Timmermans and his wife, sounds like they have a few expensive repairs coming up for both transmitters. Hopefully the Little Current business community and public will step up and continue to support these two good local stations.

Last edited by paterson1 (November 6, 2019 1:56 pm)

November 6, 2019 2:53 pm  #5

Nice to see other broadcasters helping out.

Like paterson1 stated, they will be able to receive CFOS 560 from Owen Sound at least through the day; that station sure gets out to the north. Not sure about night time coverage.

I wonder if Mr. Timmermans can seek any redress through the insurer of the truck that caused the power outage / surge?

November 6, 2019 9:24 pm  #6

RadioActive wrote:

Imagine if every radio station in Toronto was suddenly knocked off the air. It's unlikely to ever happen, but it did in the small market of Little Current on Manitoulan Island. There's not much of a radio presence there in terms of local choices, so when an accident knocked out the transmitters for the two stations in town, the result was radio silence. 

I have no idea if they can get OTA radio from elsewhere during the day, but maybe someone here knows. (I'd also love to know what the DXing is like up there.)

Anyway, I'm not sure why, but I found this article interesting.

Radio stations knocked down, get up again with help from the industry

You can pick up all Sudbury FM's in Little Current.  There is also a CBC repeater in Little Current at 97.5, so technically this town of less than 3000 has 3 local FM's.