sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 4, 2019 11:07 am  #1

Whatever Happened To Roger Ashby's Internet Channel?

Last December 5th, a little more than a year ago, Roger Ashby ended an historic 50 year run on radio, stepping down from his reign as morning man on CHUM-FM. At the time, Bell's Randy Lennox announced that Ashby would be fronting a major Internet-only radio station that would be coming sometime in 2019. 

There are less than two months left in the year and there's no sign of anything. I can only wonder if this thing will ever actually become a reality and - after all this time has gone by - if anyone will really be attracted by that name any more.  

November 4, 2019 12:03 pm  #2

Re: Whatever Happened To Roger Ashby's Internet Channel?

RadioActive wrote:

Last December 5th, a little more than a year ago, Roger Ashby ended an historic 50 year run on radio, stepping down from his reign as morning man on CHUM-FM. At the time, Bell's Randy Lennox announced that Ashby would be fronting a major Internet-only radio station that would be coming sometime in 2019. 

There are less than two months left in the year and there's no sign of anything. I can only wonder if this thing will ever actually become a reality and - after all this time has gone by - if anyone will really be attracted by that name any more.  

Wonder if anyone would be attracted by that name any more???  You are joking I hope RA!  After almost 50 years at CHUM, I doubt that people are not going to be attracted to Ashby after only 10 months of not being on the air. Guess you didn't listen to him much? He did have, along with his partners the number one morning show in Toronto for quite a few years after all. 

I was wondering about the internet show as well. Randy Lennox made it sound like it was a done deal. Just wonder if they decided to wait a year before launching. Coming on early in the New Year might have been too soon.  He was on KFUN in Kitchener with Angie Hill in the morning for three days earlier in the year. They sounded great together. Kitchener was where Roger launched his career.

And if the internet thing doesn't happen, I am wondering if he will end up at AM 740.   I thought it was interesting how Zoomer courted Ashby with promos on air, right after he announced his leaving of the CHUM morning show. The promos were inviting him to join the team at AM 740.  Retirement or not, I am sure Roger Ashby would be prevented from appearing on a non Bell station for a while.

Last edited by paterson1 (November 4, 2019 12:08 pm)

November 4, 2019 12:08 pm  #3

paterson1 wrote:

Doubt if anyone would be attracted by that name any more???  You are joking I hope RA! 

Sorry, I disagree. People have fickle memories. If you're not on the tip of their tongues, you disappear.

November 4, 2019 12:13 pm  #4

Sorry, Ashby had, and has, hundreds of thousands of fans...fans aren't fickle. And he is about the best announcer possible to have as host of an oldies or classic gold radio program. People who listened to him every morning for decades are not going to forget in 10 months. Doesn't work that way.. 

November 4, 2019 12:37 pm  #5

paterson1 wrote:

he is about the best announcer possible to have as host of an oldies or classic gold radio program   

Agree fully (Norm Edwards is best, Roger Ashby is about the best)

November 4, 2019 1:04 pm  #6

paterson1 wrote:

Sorry, Ashby had, and has, hundreds of thousands of fans...fans aren't fickle. And he is about the best announcer possible to have as host of an oldies or classic gold radio program. People who listened to him every morning for decades are not going to forget in 10 months. Doesn't work that way.. 

Oh, but it does work that way. If he was going to another terrestrial station, there certainly would be a fan base to join him. But, an "internet-only" station takes effort on the part of the listener. Those that were his audience in the first twenty years are how old now? Not to stereotype, but those people hardly will be computer-savvy enough to tune in. The rest of his fan base have so many other easier methods of entertainment available to them. And, how long would anyone's interest actually hold. Clearly, it would be VT'd, so topical details would be lacking. And, part of his cache is bouncing off his thoughts with a co-host. This station, he'd be alone.

It takes all of half an hour to set up an internet station - they had 10 months. Perhaps, he has a NC in effect, perhaps not. Or, perhaps, the announcement of this vanity project was released so his base wouldn't feel so bad. Either way, it won't be the ratings blowtorch some here expect. Sorry.

November 4, 2019 2:31 pm  #7

Actually, I am glad you brought some of the points made Consultant, because we were getting off the track a little. And I take responsibility for this
Nobody said it was going to be a ratings blowtorch, ratings were never mentioned. I was attempting to get across that since Roger Ashby was a popular on air announcer for 50 years, name recognition and familiarity would be high. And if the channel or show does end up associated with Bell, they have the means and know-how to promote on many platforms which usually isn't the case. So yes, some of his terrestrial radio audience whether it be from the 1050 chum days or chum fm would follow him.

And we really don't know what type of show they were talking about. Was it going to be a true oldies type of channel with music as far back as the  50's, or more a classic gold offering with more emphasis 60's to 80's, or something totally unique.   This was never made clear.  Ashby with all of his connections could certainly have guests and if they are focusing on the music and era, then topical or current details are not important.

Sort of an assumption that Ashby's audience from the early part of his career from '68 to 1990's wouldn't have the knowledge to bring up the channel on the net. All of my friends, and many who are not in media are constantly on their computers every day, and many do listen to internet streaming channels. We are all in our early to late 60's in terms of age. Seniors have lots of time to explore on the net and they do.

There is a possibility that Bell or Roger has had a change of heart. Maybe he doesn't want to do this anymore. He did say in one interview that Bell was not overly thrilled by AM 740 making offers to him on air to join them after he left mornings on CHUM.  Did they do this to bide some time? Who knows, maybe he will end of AM 740 at some point.

If Bell was smart they should go ahead with the internet program with Roger, and utilize the vast history of 1050 CHUM/MuchMusic for interviews and historical reference.  Lots of great audio from MuchMusic and from the excellent series The History of Rock that CHUM produced years ago. It was superior to what Drake-Chenault offered around the same time.

Then I would offer a syndicated 4 or 5 hour version of the show, every week available to regular OTA radio. This could be available to Bell stations that fit the format or sold to non Bell stations, in various markets. The only thing sort of similar currently available would be Daryl Macleans weekend Beach Party.

Or who knows, maybe Roger will come and guest on our buddy Dale Patterson's WOW radio!  

November 4, 2019 3:02 pm  #8

paterson1 wrote:

All of my friends, and many who are not in media are constantly on their computers every day, and many do listen to internet streaming channels. We are all in our early to late 60's in terms of age. Seniors have lots of time to explore on the net and they do.

It's a shame that ignorant Ageism assumptions still exist,  but thank you and well stated!

Last edited by Media Observer (November 4, 2019 5:07 pm)

November 4, 2019 6:13 pm  #9

Media Observer wrote:

well stated!

Well stated indeed. Glad you agree.

November 4, 2019 6:42 pm  #10

November 4, 2019 7:19 pm  #11

But, "boomers" aren't the Ashby audience. They consist of 80+ year old Walmart greeters that can't remember what decade it is. If the demand for Ashby really was there, the channel would have happened. Instead, they are waiting for the oldsters to die off and have Oakley on during their wake.

November 4, 2019 7:33 pm  #12

Well, glad we all agree about assumptions regarding ageism, and the fact that Ashby's older audience certainly would seek him out on the net. He would appeal to a fairly large demographic.   I am sure if he decides to do anymore on air work either on internet or regular OTA radio he will be a success. His career was 50 years of success, so there would be no reason why this wouldn't continue.  

One other thing about Ashby, was he not a bit of a giant killer beating John Records Landecker in late 1982 and into 1983 in the morning ratings? I believe Ashby took over mornings at 1050 CHUM around September 1982 and Landecker had been in Toronto at CFTR about a year. I always thought John Landecker sounded great at TR, but he never really clicked in Toronto and his ratings were not the greatest. And I do know for the brief time that Ashby and Landecker went head to head that CHUM did regain the morning top 40 crown from CFTR for at least one book, and maybe more.

November 4, 2019 8:59 pm  #13

TheConsultant wrote:

Media Observer wrote:

well stated!

Well stated indeed. Glad you agree.

Pathetic (as are your assumptions) editing!
patterson1....another fine day.

Last edited by Media Observer (November 4, 2019 9:03 pm)

November 4, 2019 9:44 pm  #14

TheConsultant wrote:

But, "boomers" aren't the Ashby audience. They consist of 80+ year old Walmart greeters that can't remember what decade it is. If the demand for Ashby really was there, the channel would have happened. Instead, they are waiting for the oldsters to die off and have Oakley on during their wake.

Sorry Consultant, your last couple of posts haven't made much sense. I don't think you, me, or anyone here is qualified to determine what Ashby's audience is or what the demand for the internet channel would be. We don't actually know if the channel is even going to happen, and only guessing as to the format.

What I am saying, and I don't know why you would disagree, is regardless whether he decides to return to regular radio or internet, based on past history, his show will be a success. And if the internet program is with Bell, this gives the show a whole different dimension in terms of exposure and promotion.

Since you have  only attempted to deflect, rather than prove your claims, or even comment on any of my previous facts, I guess there is nothing more to say. 

Last edited by paterson1 (November 4, 2019 9:47 pm)