sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 24, 2019 4:57 pm  #1

Buffalo Station Adds Unique Service On One Of Its HD Radio Channels

HD Radio has long been used to simply rebroadcast an existing AM signal owned by a company. But now Entercom has finally taken a different step, by piggybacking a totally unique format onto a long established FM. 

WTSS-FM, aka Star 102.5 in Buffalo, is now carrying something called "Channel Q" on its HD3 channel, programming aimed at the LGBTQ community. While it's not something I'd probably listen to, this always seemed to me the way HD Radio should be used - to increase choice, not simply to parrot an existing AM station in better quality. 

Many U.S. TV stations already use their subcarriers to carry brand new turn-key services created just for those extra digital signals. I was wondering if radio would ever join the plan. 

Of course, none of this may ever come to pass in Canada, where no TV outlet has ever bothered putting anything up on its second or third channels, I'm guessing because a) they'd have to apply for a new licence to the CRTC, b) CanCon requirements would probably make it less than profitable and c) Rogers, Bell & Corus have no interest in promoting free TV. 

I hope the trend of marketing "new" stations continues in the U.S. It increases choice for the listener, while hopefully making a few extra bucks for the broadcaster at the same time. 

WTSS-FM Adds Channel Q

October 24, 2019 6:11 pm  #2

Re: Buffalo Station Adds Unique Service On One Of Its HD Radio Channels

Tim Brown 2016 wrote:

Speaking of HD sub-channels, Indie 88 was supposed to be going HD with their power increase. Does anyone know what they're carrying on HD2? I was thinking it'd interesting if it were Rock 95.

It's not on. The stations that tested HD last month (88.1 and 99.1) are awaiting IC approval to turn it on permanently. 

October 25, 2019 7:31 pm  #3

Re: Buffalo Station Adds Unique Service On One Of Its HD Radio Channels

Tim Brown 2016 wrote:

Speaking of HD sub-channels, Indie 88 was supposed to be going HD with their power increase. Does anyone know what they're carrying on HD2? I was thinking it'd interesting if it were Rock 95.

Durham Radio's KX94.7 in Hamilton carries unique programming on its HD - smooth jazz. They've been doing it for quite some time.