sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 20, 2019 12:54 pm  #1

Alan Cross Wades Through "a graveyard of forgotten music devices"

Fun article here, but I wish he'd included pics of them all, since he says he has them and can't bring himself to throw them way. I used to use an Elcaset at CKEY, but they were impossible to cue up. 

Come with me through a graveyard of forgotten music devices: Alan Cross  

October 20, 2019 1:13 pm  #2

Re: Alan Cross Wades Through "a graveyard of forgotten music devices"

I'm surprised that a radio station would ever adopt Elcaset.  I used it a couple times as a kid but I thought it was clunky to use.  Sounded good though.

It kinda sounds like the same logic that CHAM used in 1989 by dubbing current hits 45-rpm discs to DAT tape.  It's like; "look everyone - we're digital!"

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

October 20, 2019 1:36 pm  #3

You guys will want to look up TechMoan on YouTube.  He's a very witty fellow from across the pond that examines all sorts of electronic devices but namely obsolete audio and video formats.

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

October 20, 2019 2:25 pm  #4

Drilling down through the link I found this note on copy-protected 'CDs'. I might be wrong, but these weren't 'Compact Discs' in the literal sense as they didn't conform to the CD standard (and thus didn't have the CD logo anywhere in the packaging). Sony was deservedly stomped on with a lawsuit over the rootkit software - their attitude towards the changing technologies is awful (despite other divisions being seasoned hardware innovators).

October 22, 2019 9:08 pm  #5

Another +1 for TechMoan.
One of my favorite formats that I've never seen before but appears to be pretty cool is the Tefifon... a "cartridge" with a "tape" inside that is read like a record... go figure.
https://youtu.be/nBNTAmLRmUg

Davester.