sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 19, 2019 6:49 am  #1

Ya Know, Ya Know, Ya Know

No I don't know.  Tried to stay with Newstalk 1010 this morning but this overworked and unnecessary catch phrase was just too much.  Cannot anyone carry on a normal conversation without this verbal tick being interjected after every three or four words.   Puleese.

October 19, 2019 7:33 am  #2

Re: Ya Know, Ya Know, Ya Know

The 'you knows' could be reduced if not eliminated, if program directors would step up and do their on-air people, and listeners, a favour, and email each person a five minute audio clip of their work that's peppered with verbal crutches, with a jaunty note along the lines of "great conversation Dave, reduce the you knows and we're good." Or would that be too easy?

Do they even have in person air checks anymore in radio?

October 19, 2019 10:49 am  #3

As annoying as " you know what I'm sayin"?
What about the  Conservative ad that says Justin Trudeau raised our taxes anyways....anyways?!
Then there is the Tim Hortons' commercial where the female announcers says " samiches"...you mean
sandwiches? Whose minding the store?

October 19, 2019 10:59 am  #4

fyshtalk wrote:

the Tim Hortons' commercial where the female announcers says " samiches"...you mean
sandwiches? Whose minding the store?

Actually, "samiches" IS a term used by the younger set these days. Perhaps, it's Timmies marketing department's way of advertising to generations of today?! YouknowwhatImean?

October 19, 2019 2:03 pm  #5

This topic rolls around every so often on SOWNY, and I couldn't agree more. The verbal ticks are becoming 'kinda', 'sorta' mind-numbing, 'like' ya know?

Too many times I've been listening to an on-air conversation that sounds like nails on a chalkboard (remember chalkboards?) and I tune away due to the incesscant verbal tick nonsense. Sadly, it's 'like' everywhere.

October 19, 2019 5:14 pm  #6

betaylored is right, but according to all on-air evidence, there aren't any PD's anymore. If there are, they are not doing their job.

"Ya know" doesn't bother me personally all that much but it drives my wife absolutely crazy.  Think that's an exaggeration? She starts talking back to the radio, saying things such as, "No, as a matter of fact, I DON'T know!"   (Plus she also corrects announcers when they don't use the subjunctive. Yup, crazy.) 

October 19, 2019 5:39 pm  #7

Ah, yes. The Blatchford Mantra.

October 19, 2019 7:37 pm  #8

Yes, it's all annoying but as long as they don't end every sentence with a "?", I'm good.
You've gotta pick your battles.

October 19, 2019 7:38 pm  #9

It's really easy to get into this habit and very hard to get out of it. I cured myself of a bad broadcasting tic once a number of years ago while doing a late night talk show. I got into this strange loop of moving to the next caller by saying "There goes Laura off into the night," or "There goes David off into the night."

While I didn't do it for every caller, it was probably way too often. What stopped me? One night, a guy named Jack was on the air and when his time was done, yep, I said, "And there goes Jack-off into the night!" 

I never said it again after that! 

October 19, 2019 7:50 pm  #10

The only crutch that really moistens my muffins is the habit of people beginning every damn sentence with the word "so".

October 19, 2019 8:45 pm  #11

Does anyone remember getting revenge on someone by creating an "um" tape?

Back in the days of tape (recording and splicing) and razor blades we had to remove someone's overwhelming number of ums and other spurious noises.  We'd get a bit of revenge by splicing those noises together.  In a box somewhere, I've got a solid minute of ums from a young Sheila Copps making a speech early in her career.

Now it's dead easy to do that.  I happened to have an hour of her show on my computer, loaded it up into reaper and started to put together a string of "um"s and "you know"s and share it here with the class.  It didn't take long to accumulate a decent bunch.  The thing is, I really like Kelly Cutrara's show.  I didn't find what I had done the least bit funny or in good taste.  I abandoned it.

October 19, 2019 8:52 pm  #12

Peter the K wrote:

Does anyone remember getting revenge on someone by creating an "um" tape?

I've heard a ton of stations do that with Justin Trudeau. It always makes me laugh. 

October 19, 2019 10:56 pm  #13

I was thinking about that with JT.  That was _very_ enjoyable.
(You can probably guess where my political leanings are.)

Thanks.

October 19, 2019 11:24 pm  #14

@ Peter the K: interestingly, I  posted it on a  CBC.ca/news comment section and it was censored by the moderator, but before it was many posters suggested I had spent all afternoon creating it. I wish I were that adept at editing.