sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 14, 2019 6:58 am  #1

Today officially marks the new line-up on the Fan 590

Gone is Prime Time sports, Jeff Blair and crew move to 2 pm...Tim and Sid are on from 5-7 pm...the new morning show has been airing for a few weeks, the good show is starting at 9 am and it is Hockey Central at noon for 2 hours...

Now, with all of these changes...how do you think the ratings will be for the Fan 590 will be in the next book or even the next few books?

If I am a betting man, I expect a decline...what do you think?

Here is the link to the last Prime Time Sports show on Friday...as mentioned, in a previous post, I am going to miss it...and although I am okay with Tim and Sid, I am not overly compelled to tune in as I was with Prime Time sports...

It is funny, it is the little things about the show I will miss, like the theme music, the kinds of guests, the hosts (I do miss Bob, (but maybe it was time to part ways) and the variety of co-hosts he had)...and although the current co-hosts will be on air, there will be a different flavour to the Fan from 5-7 from here on in...

Here again is the link to the last episode of Prime Time from Friday with Gord Stellick and Stephen Brunt...also Michael Grange and Elliotte Freedman join in on the "Friday Round Table"...

https://www.sportsnet.ca/590/prime-time-sports/

Cheers

Last edited by Muffaraw Joe (October 14, 2019 7:25 am)

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

October 14, 2019 1:29 pm  #2

Re: Today officially marks the new line-up on the Fan 590

The show has already declined since Bob left.  Gone are the days of no athlete interviews and a stable of interesting guests on the payroll.

While I like Tim,  Sid is too much for me., as the frat boy approach annoys me;  although I know many fans like it.

The biggest problem for I have however,  is the decision to keep the television format for T&S and just simulcast the audio feed over the radio.  This makes for shorter segments to facilitate more commercial  breaks.  When cameras were first introduced to PTS,  McCown said that he would not go to a TV format because he had hosted TV sports in the past and knew that the on-air product would be changed. 

For these reasons alone,  I think the ratings will ultimately suffer in both the 2-5 and 5-7 periods.

Last edited by Media Observer (October 14, 2019 2:00 pm)

October 14, 2019 6:45 pm  #3

Don't know what it looked like on TV, but T&S definitely sounded like a radio show on 590.

October 14, 2019 11:51 pm  #4

Not sure if the new Hockey Central lineup is going to build some comfortable chemistry, but I think Jeff Marek can keep the show moving forward until the game legs kick in, if you know what I mean.

I will say that sports radio is a beautiful refuge when the other radio stations are banging on about the election. Not trying to change the thread, just saying I really appreciate sports radio.

October 15, 2019 10:23 am  #5

Another change that most probably have not noticed yet is the return of 3 breaks an hour. For the last 5 years or so, the FAN had moved to two massive 8 minute commercial breaks. Thank god they changed this, If  I was a sponsor, I would not be happy if my commercial aired 6 minutes into a 8 minute stopset.

Last edited by TheWiz (October 15, 2019 10:24 am)

October 15, 2019 5:31 pm  #6

TheWiz wrote:

Another change that most probably have not noticed yet is the return of 3 breaks an hour. For the last 5 years or so, the FAN had moved to two massive 8 minute commercial breaks. Thank god they changed this, If  I was a sponsor, I would not be happy if my commercial aired 6 minutes into a 8 minute stopset.

Good point. From about ten to the top of the hour it was a Manhattan sized island of spots on the Fan. Too easy to switch to another sports station, then maybe forget to turn it back. And the ads on sports radio are so predictable, cars, betting aps, cars, restaurants, trucks etc. This change should make it easier for their marketing team too.

October 15, 2019 6:15 pm  #7

TheWiz wrote:

There was no change as such;  the increase in breaks is a result of the decision to simulcast the existing TV show's audio feed over the radio.  This results in the the radio audience now getting the shorter segments that were always part of the Tim & Sid tv show.  Tim had announced prior to the changeover,  that their show would continue unchanged as a tv broadcast.  This is different from the old PTS and current Overdrive broadcasts which were/are radio shows simulcast on TV.

The old schedule made for longer uninterrupted segments which I prefer as a listener.  It was this type of change that McCown prevented from happening when cameras were first introduced,  by insisting that PTS would remain a radio show.

I don't work in the industry, however I never heard or read any stories that selling advertising  on Prime Time Sports was a problem for the sales staff.

Last edited by Media Observer (October 15, 2019 10:13 pm)

October 15, 2019 9:02 pm  #8

Looks like the NHL deal has struck again with more layoffs hitting Sportsnet's Vancouver station. 

Sportsnet 650 cuts staff and shuffles host lineup

October 16, 2019 8:48 pm  #9

Another instance of where TSN takes advantage of an apparent Sportsnet misstep. The TSN station in Vancouver has just hired the guy Sportsnet fired the day before. 

Next to Andrew Krystal's infamous station swap, getting dumped by AM 640 one morning and then winding up on CFRB later that same night (or was it the other way around?) I can't recall such a quick career rebound. 

Vancouver sports radio wars continue as TSN 1040 makes major addition

October 18, 2019 2:05 pm  #10

T&S were GREAT on the radio, miss that show.  Their tom-foolery was perfect for that medium.  Unclear where the TV show is at - don't have time to sit and watch.  I see them on screen while at the gym but I've got other things going on.

Come out to the coast, we'll get together, have a few laughs... 
~ John McClane