sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 10, 2019 4:01 pm  #1

Is A Detroit FM Station Causing Odd Car Troubles Near Windsor?

You may have never heard of Amherstburg, Ontario, but it’s near Windsor and it’s only about 25 kilometres from Detroit. And it’s in the middle of a puzzling mystery that one man believes a Michigan radio station may be causing.

It has to do with a parking lot on one of the main streets where cars are acting very strangely, including alarms going on for no reason and fobs suddenly not working. Is a Detroit FM radio station’s signal malfunction somehow to blame? I find it very unlikely, but I guess stranger things have happened.

Here’s the bizarre story from Blackburnnews.com

October 10, 2019 4:46 pm  #2

Re: Is A Detroit FM Station Causing Odd Car Troubles Near Windsor?

I remember from back in the day when the CN Tower had gravel pits around it for parking (early 2000s), it would be difficult to use the key fob to lock the car.  

October 11, 2019 1:47 am  #3

Interesting story. The not so curious reporter fails to ask the question, why is the signal from Detroit as opposed the the several stations in Windsor?

October 11, 2019 10:26 am  #4

I've heard of car receivers getting desensed in the very immediate vicinity of high-power FM and TV facilities. Happened to me on my old Jetta at the TV towers here in Rochester more than once.

But that's in massive (> 110 dBu) RF fields. The inverse-square law applies here. There's no way a Detroit signal 25 km away has enough RF field over Amherstburg to cause this, and if it somehow DID, it would be wiping out every car in metro Detroit along the way.