sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 18, 2016 11:51 am  #1

Bill Carroll to CFRA Ottawa

Just announced that starting March 7th Bill Carroll will be the new morning host at CFRA in Ottawa.

Discuss..

February 18, 2016 12:39 pm  #2

Re: Bill Carroll to CFRA Ottawa

- Not an industry person.  Just a guy with a love of Toronto radio. 

February 18, 2016 1:29 pm  #3

Ottawa won't know what hit them on March 7th. Bill is one of the best talk show hosts I have worked with in radio. As a morning man he wasn't your average nice guy radio announcer. But that's OK because Bill never wanted to play that role. 

If Bell Media was smart they would syndicate him from noon to 2pm. Having a national show out of the nation's capital would be a bonus. Bill would have time after the morning show to prep for the national show. Also, having Bill in the Bell Media family means he will become a welcome addition on CTV's political shows on its news channel.

Congrats Bill. The move to CFRA means a couple of CFRB hosts will sleep easier tonight.

February 18, 2016 1:39 pm  #4

Sylvie will be much happier in Ottawa! 
I went through this with my first wife who was French from Quebec City.  She hated Winnipeg when we lived there, but Ottawa was perfect.  Just French enough and just English enough.  Just right!

February 18, 2016 2:29 pm  #5

Mark Elliot wrote:

Sylvie will be much happier in Ottawa! 
I went through this with my first wife who was French from Quebec City.  She hated Winnipeg when we lived there, but Ottawa was perfect.  Just French enough and just English enough.  Just right!

I certainly thought about that angle Mark when I opened this thread.

Lovely Sylvie will be back in the French speaking mileau where it just makes sense she is more comfortable....and 30 seconds from the Quebec border to boot !!

Who knows....they may even reside in Quebec....who wouldn't ??

February 18, 2016 3:26 pm  #6

February 18, 2016 4:19 pm  #7

Very surprised Lilley is being hired for the 7pm shift.

I wonder what will happen now that he is part of the Lefty Media he proclaimed was so evil before.

February 18, 2016 5:21 pm  #8

Brian has been on Newstalk 1010 where I worked with him.  He was the Parliamentary Correspondent and he's never been a lefty that I know of.  Even so, I found him balanced and fair in his commentary, and I'm noted as a leftist. 
He certainly has my respect.

February 18, 2016 5:32 pm  #9

You must have missed him at at the rebel. Fair and balanced he was not.

Last edited by Steve (February 18, 2016 5:32 pm)

February 18, 2016 9:43 pm  #10

From the press release...
The announcement follows this week’s departures of Mark Sutcliffe, Ron Corbett, John Counsell, and Nick Vandergragt.“Mark, Ron, John, and Nick have left an indelible mark on 580 CFRA and our listeners over the years,” said Gray. “We thank them for their valuable contributions to the station and wish them all the best as they take the next steps in their careers.”

Whew. I almost slipped and fell over management's tears.