sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 27, 2019 12:46 pm  #1

Is CBC’s Stance On The Incel Confession Hypocritical Or Responsible?

Like every station across the country, CBC News is heavily covering the newly released confession tape of the suspect accused in the infamous van attack on Yonge St. last year. But while they play (and replay and replay) the so-called “highlights,” in which the man explains his actions and how he feels his “mission" was accomplished, their coverage comes with a caveat.

On both TV and online, the story includes this disclaimer:

“CBC News has reviewed the entire Toronto police interview and has decided not to publish the full video. This is to limit the impact on victims' families and survivors of the attack and to help mitigate gratuitous publicity of Alek Minassian's views and alleged motivation. We have selected a brief excerpt of the video that adds some context and enhances understanding of what happened that day.”

At first glance, that seems laudable. But they’re still airing the video. If the intent is to “mitigate the gratuitous publicity” should they be showing any of it at all? I’m of two minds on this. There’s no way they can ignore the story. I suspect the tape will turn up on most American nightly newscasts Friday evening. And everyone else is running it. So it could be argued they have no choice. It's a huge story.

But on the other hand, if they really didn’t want to spread his cause, it could also be said they shouldn’t air any of it at all, perhaps recounting a precis instead. 

I think their explanation is kind of hypocritical. It makes it look like they're trying to take the high road while still driving down it. You can’t say you’re trying to stop the message and then show any of it. To me, it’s one or the other. I’m not sure you can be a little bit pregnant on something like this.

I’d be curious to know what others who’ve struggled with these kinds of decisions think about their position.

September 27, 2019 1:14 pm  #2

Re: Is CBC’s Stance On The Incel Confession Hypocritical Or Responsible?

Personally I am disgusted that this video was even released in the first place. What is the need or purpose? Do we really need to see or hear what this loathsome pathetic monster has to say? This piece of human excrement does not deserve any publicity whatsoever. By releasing this video, he is being glorified to many other degenerates, some of whom may want to copy him. People like him, who do not deserve another day on the planet,, and who unfortunately cannot be put to death in this country,, should at least be locked away and never seen or heard from again forever. And may he rot in hell.

September 27, 2019 11:25 pm  #3

Re: Is CBC’s Stance On The Incel Confession Hypocritical Or Responsible?

I don't think the issue is about the CBC airing parts of the confessional tape but rather was it correct of the courts to release it in the first place. That is the real question.

If the CBC had not aired the tape, when all other broadcasters were doing so, would we not hear wailing from various media and individuals about the left leaning CBC protecting certain ethnic groups or being too sympathetic to criminals? Of course we would.  And this would likely be held up as yet another reason to sell off or just get rid of corporation and save taxpayers money. Correct?

I think both the disclaimer and showing parts of the confessional for context was the correct thing to do.

The RCMP is saying that the suicide tape of the two teen murderers out west will not be released. Well, we will see. I am sure there may be a legal challenge at some point. Personally I don't care to see the tape, but if it does happen, then probably all news broadcasters including CBC will air at least part.