sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 9, 2019 8:53 pm  #1

Mojo Radio Returns – In Florida!

Don’t tell Mike Stafford but the late and for many unlamented Mojo Radio format has returned – on steroids. It was launched Monday on an AM/FM combo in Orlando, of all places. And no, it’s not called Mojo. But it’s definitely aimed at guys.

In fact, it’s in the name of the format – Florida Man Radio. Why that term? It’s from the cliché that all comics like to talk about, that every weird story in the news seems to come from that state. Hence the start of copy like “a Florida man was charged today with wrestling an alligator while holding his twin sons above his head.” Or something like that.

But while Mojo was born before or around the political correctness era, this format seems designed to offend as many as possible. Its slogan is “Unfiltered. Unafraid.” The morning man is a guy who goes by the moniker Bubba The Love Sponge, a host who's been around for several decades and was involved in seemingly endless lawsuits over the years.

Even worse may be the afternoon driver, Shannon Burke. He was fired from his last radio gig after he was sent to jail for shooting his wife in the head. (He claims he was aiming at the dog and the bullet grazed her. Both survived.)

The few spots I've heard on a random online tune-in seem to fit the cliche - lots of truck dealerships, lawyer come-ons, bar spots and even a sex-aid store. 

I have no idea if this thing will meet the same fate as Mojo, but on the debut day, so many people tuned in online from across the country that the servers crashed. Whether they'll all come back after the publicity dies down is another story. You can try your listening luck here if you’re curious.

One last thing. The station was recently taken over by a small ownership, and boasts on air that they’re not beholden to some giant corporation, so they can take chances. And the former owners must be horrified at the idea. Until this week, it was an All Conservative talk radio format. I wonder what Rush Limbaugh would say about what it is now.

FloridaManRadio

September 9, 2019 11:17 pm  #2

Re: Mojo Radio Returns – In Florida!

"shock jock radio" in these pc times... ho hum. so "bubba the love sponge" is the morning show "host"? i wonder if he'll have hulk hogan on as a guest?... i somehow doubt it. the last time hulk was a guest of bubba's, it involved a bed, bubba's (then) wife, and a hidden camera.

Last edited by the original hank (September 9, 2019 11:21 pm)

September 10, 2019 12:24 am  #3

Indeed that appears to be one of their selling points - two controversial jocks with sordid pasts that helps spread the word about the new format. How long this lasts and how much they can push the envelope before someone calls a halt to the thing remains to be seen.

September 10, 2019 8:42 am  #4

Interesting to hear Stafford and Tina address this format briefly on their show Tuesday. I wondered if it would come up. It's clear Stafford isn't impressed and wishes them luck for as long as it lasts.

For those who may not know the references above to Hulk Hogan, here's the whole sordid story via Wikipedia:

In early 2012, it was reported that Clem (Bubba's real name) had filmed his then-wife Heather Clem and Hulk Hogan having sex in his bedroom. Subsequently, on October 4, 2012, Gawker released a short clip of the video. In this video, Clem can be heard saying that the couple can "do their thing" and he will be in his office.

Furthermore, at the end of the video, Clem can also be heard telling Heather, "If we ever need to retire, here is our ticket".
 Hogan filed a lawsuit against Clem and his now ex-wife for invading his privacy on October 15, 2012. Hogan later settled the lawsuit on October 29, 2012. Following the settlement, Clem also publicly apologized to Hogan. 

Hogan sued 
Gawker Media for publishing the tape, and a jury of six awarded Hogan more than $140 million in March 2016. Gawker announced it would appeal as they were "disappointed" that the jury was unable to hear Clem's testimony, but ultimately reached a $31 million settlement with Hogan in November 2016.

September 10, 2019 1:46 pm  #5

RadioActive wrote:

Hogan sued Gawker Media for publishing the tape, and a jury of six awarded Hogan more than $140 million in March 2016. Gawker announced it would appeal as they were "disappointed" that the jury was unable to hear Clem's testimony, but ultimately reached a $31 million settlement with Hogan in November 2016.

Wow. A roll in the hay with a US$31,000,000 bonus. You see, my Little Hulksters, it certainly pays to eat your vitamins.

September 10, 2019 3:22 pm  #6

Listened for a while this afternoon. What I heard was not that interesting, talk about body odor, butt cracks, women with dead viginas, 9/11, asian eyes clean houses and masturbating on camera..  lots of calls from listeners with names like slim, and chubba congratulating co-hosts Shannon Burke and Bubba the Love Sponge on the new station. They apparently have had trouble with their phone lines and their temporary studio but everything will be good next week.

Shannon Burke spent 4 months in jail for shooting his wife's dog and the bullet grazed her ear. Bubba the Love Sponge  once was responsible for a former employer being fined $775,000 by the FCC because of raunchy comments and material on air.

This station is really more cartoonish and predictably outrageous to get some talk and attention, the hosts that I heard really don't seem that serious, just trying to be funny and entertaining. Does American radio really have a issues with political correctness with all of the conservative shout talk radio stations?

Apparently Florida Man Radio was a conservative talk show radio station previously. Oddly enough I didn't hear anything about sports when I have listened. I thought sports talk would be part of the format, maybe I just missed this.

Toronto's MOJO radio was a lot funnier, intelligent and billed themselves as guys radio. They came across more like a buddy that you could laugh, have a beer with and talk about sports, politics and general good natured "chirping." Oakley and crew were awesome and very funny on MOJO. Too bad it never really clicked with listeners. Probably wasn't promoted enough.

Anyway from what I heard today was a lot like a southern good ol' boy version of Howard Stern. So they likely will do ok, other than the odd fine from the FCC.

September 10, 2019 3:52 pm  #7

I wonder how long it will be before they decide to syndicate it for struggling stations in other markets desperate for attention?

September 10, 2019 4:27 pm  #8

If the station gets any traction in Florida, maybe syndication in some smaller and medium markets. Lot of stations are desperately in need some ratings, so who knows? It will be hard for these guys to keep up the
momentum without getting stale though. Can already tell they are going to have a lot of regulars calling in which can be a good or bad thing. Good thing if the caller is a real character, entertaining and funny, bad if they are just guys calling in because they are always angry or have nothing else to do.

September 10, 2019 4:54 pm  #9

bubba's show was heard on stern's howard 101 (sirius) for a number of years. bubba's shtick plays well in rural florida (if you've ever spent time in that area you know what i mean).

September 10, 2019 8:12 pm  #10

Oh, I know what you mean. I remember being in Florida various times in the 1970's and listening to the "Greaseman" Doug Tracht on 690 WAPE. He was number one in the mornings in Jacksonville and much of Florida. His humour and approach was about the same Shannon and Bubba. Only real difference is Florida Man Radio is all talk and the Greaseman played the hits in between his many on air bits and characters.

September 12, 2019 8:04 pm  #11

Man, I remember when the ultimate of edge was Mr. Goohead crank calls.