sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 9, 2019 8:57 am  #1

John Moore Soldiers On Despite A Death In The Family

I was amazed to hear CFRB's John Moore on the air Monday carrying on his show like nothing had happened. After years of talking about his dad, who descended into the lost world of dementia, he relayed the sad news that his father passed away on Friday. Yet he didn't even take a day off. 

I'm not criticizing him - everyone handles this kind of thing in their own way - but no one would blame him if he took a few days away to be with his family. Above and beyond, I suppose. 

I recall when my own father passed away - it had been a while in coming - that I took time off to be with my mother and siblings. I guess some need the time to process it. Others don't. Anyway, condolences to the NT1010 morning man. As someone whose mom is in the final stages of dementia, I can attest that it's never easy. He has my sympathy.

But what a pro. If he hadn't mentioned it, you'd never know that tragedy struck. 

September 9, 2019 10:36 am  #2

Re: John Moore Soldiers On Despite A Death In The Family

Condolences to John...wishing him grace and comfort right now!

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

September 9, 2019 1:03 pm  #3

Sometimes you just need to escape the grief.  I've know a few on air folks who returned to work when other's may not have just to keep their mind off what's happened.

September 9, 2019 4:23 pm  #4

It's not quite the same thing, but my third beloved dog passed away quite unexpectedly a few years ago during the Christmas vacation period. I was absolutely devastated (only dog owners know what it's like) but with vacations long arranged and many away, there was no one to take my place. So I did my job in something of a daze.

I don't remember a lot about that time at work, except that people told me later they barely heard me speak a single word for an entire week. And as a semi-professional part time loudmouth, that's not like me.

I'm on dog #5 now, but I still miss that pooch everyday.   

September 9, 2019 7:54 pm  #5

He'll likely take some time off, soon, to make detailed arrangements for whatever ceremony may have been chosen.

May your dad rest in peace, John.

September 12, 2019 1:47 pm  #6

He confirmed on Thursday that he'll be taking Friday off to go to Ottawa to be with his kin for the final services. Looks like he'll be back on Monday. Dave Trafford will be filling in.