sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 8, 2019 2:59 pm  #1

Alan Cross On The Day John Lennon Played Toronto

I knew most of this story, but there a few well told tidbits here that make it even better.

Yes, there’s Woodstock ’69, but what about that Toronto festival that helped break up The Beatles? 

September 9, 2019 11:12 am  #2

Re: Alan Cross On The Day John Lennon Played Toronto

That was the concert that I first met John & Yoko.  He was very kind.  Later I would interview him; on CHUM-FM in 1974 ( Walls & Bridges) via the telephone; from L.A.  Thanks to Ronnie Hawkins for setting up that one.

September 9, 2019 11:37 am  #3

Perhaps what amazes me most about this story is this small section: 

"...no one believed him. Word on the street was that he was lying and just trying to scam people into buying tickets. Local radio refused to cover the story."

Can you imagine anything like that happening today? Just the whiff of a rumour about a John Lennon appearing in Toronto would have set the Internet on fire and social media would have spread it like an Alberta wildfire. No radio station would have refused to cover the story. If anything, it would force them to respond to it even further. 

Incredible the difference between the world back then and now.  

September 9, 2019 3:58 pm  #4

John D wrote:

That was the concert that I first met John & Yoko.  He was very kind.  Later I would interview him; on CHUM-FM in 1974 ( Walls & Bridges) via the telephone; from L.A.  Thanks to Ronnie Hawkins for setting up that one.

John I believe you replayed that interview on your CIUT show when you had Canadian Beatles historian Piers on the show. I think I have a tape of it somewhere.

Big Daddy Tom Donahue, the father of commercial progressive radio, interviewed John Lennon for Walls and Bridges too and the audio is available here on the very first clip titled "Bonnie Simmons Tribute" starting at 25:21. Did not listen today but what I remember about the interview is when Tom mentions to John that he thought about Brian Wilson and Phil Spector producing Harry Nilsson together:

Jive 95 Audio

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

September 10, 2019 8:31 am  #5

Why do we have that strange tiny pic next to my post???  Everyone else’s seems the same.

Last edited by John D (September 10, 2019 8:33 am)

September 10, 2019 8:49 am  #6

Tinypic ended their free service this month with a pay service and has replaced whatever you were using with their own annoying placeholder. If you still have the original, you can reupload it here, the go to My Options on SOWNY, find "Avatar and Signature" on the left side and hit "Change avatar." Paste in the code and you should be good to go. 

If you have any trouble, let me know and I may be able to fix it for you.