sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 9, 2015 8:14 pm  #1

Evan Solomon Fired

Matt Galloway just tweeted that in the wake of this story, that Evan Soloman has been fired.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2015/06/09/cbc-host-evan-solomon-took-secret-cut-of-art-deals.html

June 9, 2015 8:15 pm  #2

Re: Evan Solomon Fired

Can't be true.  No mention of any of this on the CBC news website, and they're now 'open' and 'honest' according to the spots.    The conspiracy theories have started though.  It was because he was a thorn in Harper's side that all this happened, otherwise it would have been swept under the table.

Then again...  "They met at a pub across the street from the Art Gallery of Ontario, where the gala was being held. Balsillie recalled that Solomon had earlier asked if he could bring a friend. That friend was Bruce Bailey, the art collector. "    That bar, gentle friends, is called...  drumroll.... "The Village Idiot".

In all seriousness, sad news.  I think this guy was and is great. 

Last edited by ig (June 9, 2015 8:23 pm)

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

June 9, 2015 8:56 pm  #3

You probably shouldn't have let me join the new and improved SOWNY. :-) 
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/evan-solomon-let-go-by-cbc-news-in-wake-of-toronto-star-report-1.3106983

June 9, 2015 8:58 pm  #4

You think the board is new and improved, you should see the artwork we hung in the corridors!

Lorne wrote:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/evan-solomon-let-go-by-cbc-news-in-wake-of-toronto-star-report-1.3106983

June 9, 2015 9:01 pm  #5

8:49pm ?  Almost exactly a full hour after every other media outlet in the country ran with the story?  So much for 'getting out ahead' in a crisis.

ig wrote:

You think the board is new and improved, you should see the artwork we hung in the corridors!

Lorne wrote:

June 9, 2015 9:30 pm  #6

It appears Evan Solomon forgot the first rule of dealing with very wealthy people like Bruce Bailey. Never forget your place, even if it seems like you can. Don't. Enjoy the perks and benefits, but just because you're invited there, doesn't mean you're welcome to stay in their galaxy. At some point, you will be harshly reminded of it and brought 'back down'. The longer you remember that reality, the longer the goose will continue to throw you the odd golden egg.

June 9, 2015 10:11 pm  #7

Wow, this is astounding. A guy who could make the House of Commons interesting (on The House) does not come around often. The list of those who have torched their own careers in the last year or so is simply incredible - Leslie Roberts (Global); Brian Williams (NBC); Jian Ghomeshi (CBC); and now Evan Soloman. Not to mention the questionable activites of former on air types like Senators Mike Duffy and Pamela Wallin. I can't recall a time when so many prominent broadcasters or former broadcasters have shot themselves in the foot so often and so quickly.

June 9, 2015 11:57 pm  #8

What amazes me is the greed and stupidity of these people.
All were making much above average salaries and enjoyed the (legal) perks of being in the spotlight.
But obviously, that never was enough.
As for Evan, I couldn't stand listening to him for more than a few minutes.
Yes, he was pretty clever and could ask good questions but he had the most annoying voice.
I also felt he let a lot of his "guests" get away with spewing bullshit without challenging them.

June 10, 2015 8:50 am  #9

Kornblum Law will review his case for free and won't be paid until Evan gets paid

June 10, 2015 11:44 am  #10

Sorry Geo, but as Lior Samfiru has said again and again "If you are in a Union, I can't do anything for you. You are bound by your collective agreement".

Last edited by StevieB (June 10, 2015 11:45 am)

I am Here, just not all there.

June 10, 2015 12:04 pm  #11

What does it say about this story and the CBC when its own news management won't comment publicly about this big news story? Matt Galloway indicated on his Radio 1 drivetime show Wednesday morning that a request was put in for Jennifer McGuire, the network's G.M. and Editor-In-Chief for News - who announced the firing - to appear for an interview about this. In Galloway's words "that request was denied."

June 10, 2015 5:11 pm  #12

Given how The Star has been paying particular attention to CBC high-flyers lately, one wonders who (at the CBC) is taking an interest in The Star's journalists.

Everyone best keep their nose clean. Hard lessons are being learned.

June 10, 2015 5:58 pm  #13

StevieB wrote:

Sorry Geo, but as Lior Samfiru has said again and again "If you are in a Union, I can't do anything for you. You are bound by your collective agreement".

If Alan Freed had been a union man instead of a creative rock 'n roll pioneer broadcaster, we'd still be listening to Al Jolson instead of enjoying Chuck Berry & Jerry Lee Lewis on AM-740