sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 17, 2019 5:06 pm  #1

Ontario's News Now is a go, but with some changes coming

The Doug Ford Conservative Party's News Now is all systems go moving forward, however a few changes are in store...

NDP party critics have called this initiative pure propaganda and even pandering to businesses that donated money to the PC party (Point Pelee winery is named in the article).

But Premier Ford office would not comment on any possible “reconfiguration”, however in a statement Friday, spokesperson Ivana Yelich told Global News, “Ontario News Now is a creative way to communicate the government’s message in the modern, digital world – no different than a video press release or a digital householder.”

Here is the link to the article, it is kind of interesting to see former CP 24 host Travis Dhanraj, doing hosting/interview duties on this initiative too...

https://globalnews.ca/news/5775742/ontario-news-now-reconfiguration/

So what's your take? Is this pure spin by the Conservatives or Doug Fords need to be front and center of the attention both good and bad?

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

August 17, 2019 5:38 pm  #2

Re: Ontario's News Now is a go, but with some changes coming

Propaganda?  A 'kiss the ass of the government' outlet?  Is this CRTC approved?  No news is good news?  Shameful if that's what it is.  Surely we're better than to OK a fox-like cesspool to be allowed to control the minds of those incapable of thought or reason.  We're as strong an industry as our weakest link.  THIS is ultra weak and a DEEP hole is being Doug. 

Last edited by Lee Marshall (August 17, 2019 5:39 pm)

August 17, 2019 7:24 pm  #3

Lee Marshall wrote:

Is this CRTC approved?

That's the million dollar question. Not at all likely...

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

August 17, 2019 7:54 pm  #4

Muffaraw Joe wrote:

it is kind of interesting to see former CP 24 host Travis Dhanraj, doing hosting/interview duties on this initiative too...

Have a big warm glass of Pelee vinegar, T. Your career just went to Ford Nation pud. 

August 17, 2019 9:24 pm  #5

Just to be clear. I don't think Travis Dhanraj is WORKING for ONN - he's simply interviewing Ford about it for a segment airing on Global. Danraj is the Queen's Park Bureau chief and I don't think he quit that to take a job with the bogus "news" channel.

That said, the main point of the story is that the Conservatives are finally - and belatedly - looking at making changes to this PR machine. This has come up here before, but it's worth wondering about again - has their "reporter" Lyndsey Vanstone completely destroyed her credibility to the extent that if those rumoured "changes" don't involve her continuing, could she ever hope to get a job anywhere else now?

I was always surprised she took this gig. She actually had a pretty good rep as a producer for both CFRB and 640. I admit I have no idea how she ended up there, but it looks like she threw it all away for a cushy government job. 

August 17, 2019 9:48 pm  #6

Radiowiz wrote:

Lee Marshall wrote:

Is this CRTC approved?

That's the million dollar question. Not at all likely...

It's not a question at all. It's not because it doesn't need to be.

August 17, 2019 9:55 pm  #7

RA - If that's the case I heartedly retract my menacing comment. But to those involved with ONN...enjoy it while it lasts.