sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 8, 2019 8:49 pm  #1

Longest On-Air Career?

Has there ever been anyone on the air longer than 73 years in Canada?  CKUA (transmitters across Alberta) just lost Jack Hagerman, AKA The Old Disc Jockey, after 70 years with the station, having previously spent 3 years at CFQC in Saskatoon.

To the best of my knowledge, Jack was still updating his weekly Big Band programs up to his death earlier today.  He stopped recording new programs some years back, but always wanted them to sound fresh and new, so would update some of his announcing in each show every time it aired.

Edmonton also has a retired Chief Engineer who should celebrate his 100th birthday very soon.

August 8, 2019 9:06 pm  #2

Re: Longest On-Air Career?

Les Horton was at CKOC for 51 years (1921-1973), but doesn't even approach Jack Hagerman.

Just a few more months and Hagerman would have jocked in his ninth decade.

Here's a nice article on Mr. Hagerman, who used the name John Worthington on the air.

https://ckua.com/read/how-john-worthington-hagerman-became-the-very-essence-of-ckua/

Last edited by Dale Patterson (August 8, 2019 9:13 pm)

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

August 8, 2019 9:16 pm  #3

Glenn Woodcock has been on Jazz FM for 42 years...and is going strong on Sunday Nights...

https://jazz.fm/glen-woodcock/

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

August 17, 2019 5:01 pm  #4

I'll never catch those guys.  AND...I don't want to.  At least not at this particular time.  There are roses to be smelled.  Coffee too.  Jan 1st I'll be into my 6th decade of yackin' and stuff.. I retired for a short while after doin' the CTV  'thing' but that was ultra BORING...and it felt like it was poor for my mental health...so I jumped right back into the fray.  Will I be ready to walk away after a couple more years?   I hope so.  Right now though?  No. Got stuff to establish...and people to train.

"Here lies Lee.  He died with his headphones on."  won't look good on my urn.  Jack Hagerman must be one of a kind.  And ALL at one station?  With the corporate tomfoolery of the current ownership ways, means and methods....it will be impossible to ever come close to that achievement again.  So far I've been at 12 different radio stations...2 of 'em twice...and I recorded ID's, promos and stuff for 4 different TV outlets so I'm nowhere near the record setters mentioned here. 

Hell's bells.  I'm just a young fella.  There are loads of contributors to this specific site with far more impressive credentials and stories to tell.  Not that I'm gonna call out any names.  I've been a radio fan/music fan since I was about 3...thanks to my Mom.  Even Dad assisted in THAT.  I have a great deal of respect for those who've done the on-air thing...at least since the dawn of Rock 'n' Roll.  I'd love to hear/read some stories.

Last edited by Lee Marshall (August 17, 2019 5:03 pm)