sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 13, 2019 6:00 pm  #1

CKFH CHUM and CKOC 1971

Here is more from that fascinating collection of tapes that I wrote about on my last blog post. The individual recorded mostly small town radio but also some from major markets. 

This clip features content from CKFH and 1050 CHUM from Toronto and CKOC from Hamilton, Ontario. The clips are regrettably short and snippets rather than full air checks.

The person who recorded this seemed to love the song Do You Know What I Mean by Lee Michaels as they capture it several times

You will hear Mal Faris, Mike Williams  and a few seconds of Tom Fulton all on CKFH. I believe that I hear Bob Magee on CHUM for a few seconds at 33:28 and Dan Ferguson on CKOC. Brain Master, in his recent Toronto Mike appearance, may be right when he mentioned that Bob Magee may be the rock  jock still on air in the area with the longest tenure.

There is a CHUM jock ( maybe two) that I don't recognize and I don't know who the CKFH jock is at the very beginning who says "Mal's next" JD ?

This person recorded a lot of audio from TV as well, some fascinating stuff like a David Frost interview with Candice Bergan at the time of the release of the movie Carnal Knowledge and she is in full post flower child mode. There's a Carson interview with Dustin Hoffman that I don't believe is on You Tube and who has heard Johnny Carson's definition of True Grit. Will see if I can get any of that on You Tube.

CKFH CHUM CKOC 1971

Last edited by Fitz (August 13, 2019 6:03 pm)

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

August 14, 2019 12:38 am  #2

Re: CKFH CHUM and CKOC 1971

At the 33:28 mark that's CHUM's Jay Nelson...not Bob Magee.

August 14, 2019 6:30 am  #3

Doug Thompson wrote:

At the 33:28 mark that's CHUM's Jay Nelson...not Bob Magee.

Thanks for the correction. I did wonder b/c he said "beautiful Wednesday morning" and I thought maybe fill in.

Cool Airchecks and More:

August 14, 2019 11:20 am  #4

Jay did mornings at CHUM for 17 years and 24 days so working on a Wednesday morning would be his regular shift.

August 14, 2019 12:01 pm  #5

Doug Thompson wrote:

Jay did mornings at CHUM for 17 years and 24 days so working on a Wednesday morning would be his regular shift.

Yes I thought maybe Bob Magee was filling in for JN on a Wednesday but I can hear now (even though it's such a tiny snippet) that it's Jay N. Do you know who the other CHUM announcer is who is heard at 25:30 announcing the Lee Michaels song as the CHUM charger. My guess is that all the clips are from September 1971 judging by the song selection. Perhaps Bob Magee was not quite at CHUM at this poit and probably would not have been given the prime morning shift as fill in.

Last edited by Fitz (August 14, 2019 10:07 pm)

Cool Airchecks and More: