sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 24, 2019 9:45 am  #1

Fan 590 Jays Talk Host Comes Out As Gay – Why Is This A Big Deal?

Scott MacArthur hosts Jays Talk on Sportsnet after every baseball game, but he’s been off this week. Now we know why. It’s the same time he decided to issue a YouTube video (below) coming out about his sexuality.

The video, which is just over seven minutes long, has him explaining his position – including his mental health struggles - and why he waited so long to make the revelation. He also apologizes to “the women I’ve dated,” and the “pain I caused you.”

And he vows it won’t change him on air. “I will not be a different radio host if you’ve enjoyed my work, than the one that you’ve heard,” he says in the video. “I am not going to change. But I will advocate for my nature … and for people in pain.”  

In theory, this shouldn’t matter to anyone and it’s entirely his business.

But in a separate column for Troy Media, former broadcaster and newspaper columnist Bruce Dowbiggin writes about the homophobia that still infects sports, and especially Major League Baseball players. And he wonders how long it will take to change that and whether MacArthur will feel the slings and arrows of rejection as a result of his admission.

I say congratulations to MacArthur on his courage. This couldn’t have been easy.

It’s just too bad we still live in a world where it matters.

Coming to grips with the gay reality in sports locker rooms

July 24, 2019 9:57 am  #2

Re: Fan 590 Jays Talk Host Comes Out As Gay – Why Is This A Big Deal?

Hope he feels better about himself - that's what counts...

July 24, 2019 1:17 pm  #3

I think it is courageous and I wish him very well...but in sports there still exists homophobia, even though there is also immense camaraderie among the players...and in some cases open on field/court displays of affection...

I hope this just breeds more tolerance for one another and that we can live and let live..

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

July 25, 2019 10:47 pm  #4

Good for him but I don't get the point.
Would the host's sexuality ever come up during a post game show? 
I get it on a morning show if you're sharing a story about your personal life that it might come up.
Maybe I'm different than other people but on a post game show I just want analysis of the game. I would find it just as out of place if Mike Wilner had talked about his relationship with his wife (if he has one) on the show. I don't care about your personal life. Just tell me why the bullpen sucks.

July 25, 2019 10:58 pm  #5

July 25, 2019 11:20 pm  #6

Prod Guy wrote:

Good for him but I don't get the point.
Would the host's sexuality ever come up during a post game show? 
I get it on a morning show if you're sharing a story about your personal life that it might come up.
Maybe I'm different than other people but on a post game show I just want analysis of the game. I would find it just as out of place if Mike Wilner had talked about his relationship with his wife (if he has one) on the show. I don't care about your personal life. Just tell me why the bullpen sucks.

Well to be fair, he didn't actually bring this up on Jays Talk or the radio. He did it online while he was on vacation and I would be surprised if it surfaces on the show. But you never know what a listener might say.

Having never been in his shoes I can't say why he felt compelled to make the revelation but if it makes him feel better and it doesn't interfere with his on air work, what's the real harm?

July 26, 2019 10:25 am  #7

Scott MacArthur is a terrific all round sports broadcaster.

This announcement comes under the heading "Use your power for good."

July 26, 2019 2:45 pm  #8

I look forward to the day when "coming out" is not news. Have we not evolved past this? A person's sexuality is their own business and no one should be judgmental on it. Still, it is brave for Mr. MacArthur to "come out" in a world where some people remain unenlightened on this matter. Bravo, Mr. MacArthur!

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

August 12, 2019 8:40 pm  #9

In late July, The Fan's Scott MacArthur announced he would be taking a week off from Jays Talk and then made his online revelation that he's gay. I still don't consider it a big deal but I've noticed one other thing since then - he hasn't really been back doing the Jays post game call-in show since.

It's been almost a month. You can take time off during the baseball season - Ben Wagner is gone for a bit this week - but because it's so short, a month is a very long time. 

MacArthur has been replaced by Josh Goldberg in the interim and there's been no word on when - or if - he's coming back. Does anyone know if he is, in fact, returning this year? Or has he been there and I just missed it somehow?  

August 12, 2019 9:26 pm  #10

Scotty Mac as he’s sometimes called by colleagues was co-hosting the morning show Monday.  I think that there are a lot of folks on vacation at the Fan, so there have been some musical chairs.  That meant that Josh Goldberg was doing Jays Talk for a few days and the St. Louis Bar and grill out of town scoreboard during jays games..  I heard another host on Jays talk on Sunday.

August 12, 2019 11:44 pm  #11

That explains it. Good to hear he's still around. I hope he's back on Jays Talk soon

August 14, 2019 2:25 pm  #12

Scott dropped by today and talked about... everything. If you're interested in Scott's story, here it is.

August 28, 2019 4:21 pm  #13

Jim Richards had Scott MacArthur on CFRB Wednesday afternoon, discussing the latter's decision to come out and the impact it’s had on his mental health and his career. Both mentioned The Fan several times, and as everyone here is aware, Bell owns TSN 1050 while The Fan belongs to arch-rival Rogers.

I’m not a huge Jim Richards fan, but I will give him credit for ignoring the obvious corporate conflict to have an old friend on for a serious conversation. I wouldn’t have expected it, but it’s to the credit of both guys that they did it.