sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 2, 2019 9:16 am  #1

City Councillor Charging Taxpayers For Regular CFRB Appearances

According to the Toronto Sun, Councillor Shelley Carroll - a weekly regular on NT1010's "Roundtable" - is charging taxpayers for parking whenever she comes to the station. The linked article points out that City Hall is within walking distance of the studios and she could easily get there in decent weather on foot. And of course, her office defends the practice as being part of the job, informing the public etc. etc.  

This isn't the first time this has happened with a Roundtable participant. A now former Niagara Falls city councillor was also charging taxpayers for his weekly visits to RB, claiming he was "promoting tourism" in the area.

Perhaps 1010 should grill her on this issue every time she comes on. It's not a lot of money in the end - probably about $500 a year. And I'm not trying to nickel and dime her. But in an era of penny pinching, it's the principle of the thing.  

Councillor Charges Taxpayers For Radio Appearances

August 2, 2019 10:18 am  #2

Re: City Councillor Charging Taxpayers For Regular CFRB Appearances

No shame...

Tell Ms. Carroll to make close examination of the CFRB rate card for the quarter hour she is on.

Explain to her that she's publicising herself in prime time for free.

Ask that she make a public apology to the taxpayers.

Demand and receive a full refund for this bogus "expense".

When all that is accomplished work toward her defeat at the polls next time out.

August 2, 2019 3:20 pm  #3

Selective outrage by the Sun ....l I guess it depends on your political leaning.

Sandy Annunziata ran up $4,100 in expenses to the taxpayers of his region travelling back and forth to the Jerry Agar show with no apparent outrage from the Sun ...... wait  Annunziata Conservative and Caroll is Liberal

https://www.niagarafallsreview.ca/opinion-story/8196741-herod-sandy-annunziata-delusional-or-selfless-/

August 2, 2019 3:46 pm  #4

Calhame wrote:

Selective outrage by the Sun ....l I guess it depends on your political leaning.

Sandy Annunziata ran up $4,100 in expenses to the taxpayers of his region travelling back and forth to the Jerry Agar show with no apparent outrage from the Sun ...... wait Annunziata Conservative and Caroll is Liberal

https://www.niagarafallsreview.ca/opinion-story/8196741-herod-sandy-annunziata-delusional-or-selfless-/

The Annunziata story received a full airing on this board months ago.

Equally if not more outrageous behaviour from him.

How about instead of shooting the messenger you give us your thoughts on both these civic leaders.

You know....the important stuff...

August 2, 2019 3:53 pm  #5

Calhame wrote:

Sandy Annunziata ran up $4,100 in expenses to the taxpayers of his region travelling back and forth to the Jerry Agar show with no apparent outrage from the Sun ...... wait Annunziata Conservative and Carroll is Liberal

My reaction would be a pox on both their houses. I don't care what party they affiliate with. When it comes to this, it's all the same - the trough is open and the pigs are swilling. I don't for a moment believe that Annunziata was "promoting tourism" or that Carroll is spreading the City Hall gospel. They're really promoting themselves, well aware of the political value of name recognition at election time. And there's no reason anyone should pay for that besides them.

Last I looked, appearing on a local radio station that often deals with non-civic, non-political related items was not a part of either's job description.

And P.S.: Carroll claims to be worried about climate change. CFRB's studios are right near the Osgoode subway station. It's about a 3 or 4 minute walk from that exit, even on a day with rotten weather. She's not exactly practicing what she preaches by taking her car everywhere. Pretty hypocritical if you ask me.

Last edited by RadioActive (August 2, 2019 4:05 pm)