sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 26, 2019 5:27 pm  #1

New Tarantino Movie Prominently Features KHJ Airchecks

I haven't seen any of the 2 hours and 39 minutes of "Once Upon A Time In Hollywood," the new Quentin Tarantino flick that's drawing rave reviews, but I look forward to hearing the soundtrack. It prominently features excerpts from KHJ, the legendary Boss Radio from L.A. that owned the market in the 60s - the time period when the story unfolds. 

The soundtrack album boasts some very familiar oldies, and also features on air personalities, including the late Humble Harve and The Real Don Steele. It's been a while since radio was an important part of a major movie, but this one reportedly has it in spades. And it makes sense in many ways - there's almost no better way to evoke an era than by adding in touches like the actual radio that was playing back then.

"One of the things that I love about this is that the soundtrack is going to be a really fresh experience – especially for kids that don’t listen to radio — because it does feature some of these radio airchecks and old commercials," Tarantino tells Variety. "It’s a love letter to radio. I hate that, when people say “love letter to,” but it really is.

See the soundtrack for Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

July 26, 2019 10:26 pm  #2

Re: New Tarantino Movie Prominently Features KHJ Airchecks

I just got out of the movie... It was great,  one of the very first scenes has a KHJ jingle!
I was great hearing the station through the film... any scene in a car they were listening to KHJ.

July 26, 2019 11:47 pm  #3

of course, one of tarintino's first movies, "reservoir dogs" had a soundtrack based entirely around the flat delivery of steven wright as the voice of Kbilly radio, featuring among other songs, Little Green Bagand the violently graphic broadcast of Kbilly's "dylanesque, pop bubblegum favourite from April of 1974..." steeler's wheel, stuck in the middle with you.  lend an ear if you're able.  NSFW.

July 30, 2019 8:46 am  #4

Nowhere are the KHJ airchecks in this film more appreciated than in the city where they broadcast. 

From L.A. Magazine:

KHJ, L.A.’s Coolest AM Radio Station, Is Basically a Background Actor in “Once Upon a Time in Hollywood”