sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 24, 2019 5:38 pm  #1

Unifor Launches Major Ad Blitz For Canadian News Media Aid

Unifor is not my favourite organization for a lot reasons, but I notice they've just launched a major ad blitz on GTA radio stations urging listeners to get in touch with the feds to try and help out a struggling news media. 

They want you to write the government, and provide a form letter for people concerned about this issue to write to their local MP and the Heritage Minister. You may have already heard the spots and I suspect this is just the opening salvo. 

They make 5 major points, but one of them is NOT doling out wads of federal government cash to struggling newspapers, TV stations and the like. This will always make me uncomfortable, regardless of who is in power, because it's simply impossible to ensure it won't influence editorial decisions. And even if it doesn't, the cloud of suspicion will always be there. 

Tax credits for subscribers and changes to online ad tax regs is O.K., although I'd need to hear more details.

I'm less comfortable with ordering giants like Facebook put 30% of their revenues into Cancon. (What is it with Cancon and that 30% number?)

I suppose an argument can be made that ISPs have to give 5% of their revenues to the Canadian Media Fund, although again I would need to know where that money is going and how it would be spent.

But I'm less happy about the CBC funding, which I think is already way out of control. 

You can see the entire proposal here.