sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 21, 2019 3:50 pm  #1

Radio/TV Pioneer A Shadow Of Its Former Self As It Hits 100

The initials RCA are familiar to just about anyone who ever bought a radio, a TV set or a VCR. Or even, in some cases, a microwave oven. As the article states, this old gray mare is not what it used to be - but what a history it has as it hits the century mark.

Be sure to take a look through the remarkable gallery that accompanies the story.   

RCA @100: anniversary of firm that popularized radio, TV and more

July 21, 2019 4:10 pm  #2

Re: Radio/TV Pioneer A Shadow Of Its Former Self As It Hits 100

My very first VCR was an RCA, back when there really wasn't a lot of choice. (This would have been around 1977.) It was a VHS SelectaVision and it was a great machine, although the kinds that would follow were much, much better. 

RCA used to be a trusted name in electronics in my house, along with Zenith and Sony. I'm not entirely sure if anyone earns that designation these days.

July 21, 2019 6:24 pm  #3

There was an old RCA electron microscope on the top floor of the Old Vic building in Victoria University. It may still be there.

July 21, 2019 8:01 pm  #4

"nipper" was the name of the RCA dog cocking it's ear into the gramophone .

July 21, 2019 9:01 pm  #5

Your post reminded me that upstairs in a back room, I have an old RCA Victrola that's likely from either the 20s or the 30s. I'm not sure of the year, but I do know that it hasn't worked in a very long time - my late father passed away more than a decade ago in his 80s - and he broke it when he was just a kid! I wound up with it when my grandmother had to move out of her home a very long time ago. 

Notice the box of needles sitting on the turntable. There are still plenty in there! (Can you imagine trying to cue up a 78 on one of those during a shift?)