sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 21, 2019 8:30 am  #1

Tuesday's Jays Game Airing Free Only On YouTube - Not Sportsnet

The Blue Jays aren’t exactly tearing up the league this year (and probably for a few years to come) but if you want to watch this Tuesday’s tilt against Cleveland, you won’t find it on Sportsnet. Instead, YouTube’s MLB channel will be the only place that’s showing it – and it will be available for free in Canada.

This is part of the Google video giant’s agreement with Major League Baseball for 13 web-only games, and I’m not sure, but this could be the first time the Jays are actually being featured.

So what’s on Sportsnet, the team’s network, both of which are owned by Rogers? They’ll be showing the Boston/Tampa Bay game instead.

If you’ve been listening to the radio in the past few days, you may have noticed a sharp increase in ads for this streamed game – even, ironically, on Rogers owned 680 News, reminding people that this is the only place to find this particular contest.

IIRC, Facebook tried this at one point and it wasn’t exactly a roaring success. Still, for those who don’t subscribe to Sportsnet or cable/satellite, it will likely be the only “free” Blue Jays game you can see on TV this year.

Many here will remember when many of the games were free on CTV. But those days, for better and worse, are gone forever.

July 21, 2019 12:15 pm  #2

Re: Tuesday's Jays Game Airing Free Only On YouTube - Not Sportsnet

My problem with the Facebook games is that they seemed foreign because the "home crew" wasn't broadcasting.  They were produced by a dedicated MLB crew specifically for facebook.  It looks like the same will happen with youtube.

You get used to voices and mannerisms.  While technically it looked fine, it didn't seem right because it wasn't "our" broadcast.

As for not being on regular OTA TV, I have to wonder just how much longer OTA will even be a thing.  Maybe it's just because I'm getting old and crotchety, but years ago, I played with OTA and fiddled with the grey (and not so grey) satellite services and have been a Bell satellite subscriber for years.  In preparation for our upcoming move, even though there is already a Bell satellite dish at the new place, I decided I have had enough with that technology and was able to get a sweet deal from Rogers to ignite me into the 21st century.

July 21, 2019 12:45 pm  #3

Peter the K wrote:

As for not being on regular OTA TV, I have to wonder just how much longer OTA will even be a thing.

My worry exactly, as expressed in this other recent thread. It started with sports. Now it's progressed to existing hit shows migrating off network TV. Soon the only thing left OTA will be cheap reality shows - although there's already a pay network that specializes in just those, as well. 

July 21, 2019 1:39 pm  #4

Peter the K wrote:

My problem with the Facebook games is that they seemed foreign because the "home crew" wasn't broadcasting.  They were produced by a dedicated MLB crew specifically for facebook.  It looks like the same will happen with youtube.

You get used to voices and mannerisms.  While technically it looked fine, it didn't seem right because it wasn't "our" broadcast.

As for not being on regular OTA TV, I have to wonder just how much longer OTA will even be a thing.  Maybe it's just because I'm getting old and crotchety, but years ago, I played with OTA and fiddled with the grey (and not so grey) satellite services and have been a Bell satellite subscriber for years.  In preparation for our upcoming move, even though there is already a Bell satellite dish at the new place, I decided I have had enough with that technology and was able to get a sweet deal from Rogers to ignite me into the 21st century.

I like hearing other announcers. Buck and Pat act like players and share nothing about the inner workings of the current team and constantly tell stories from the 90's. Other announcers including Dan Shulman talk about that day's batting practice and discussions with players on the morning of the current game. Watch a Red Sox or Yankees game and the announcers are light years ahead of Buck and Pat.  People tend to like what they're used to even if it's not that great.

Last edited by Prod Guy (July 21, 2019 1:41 pm)

July 21, 2019 1:51 pm  #5

Prod Guy wrote:

People tend to like what they're used to even if it's not that great.

That's basically it. I'm actually not that into baseball (but my wife is) so I'm usually not paying close attention. I find it less distracting when the voices are familiar.

Funny thing. SN just aired a spot for YouTube promoting Tuesday's game.

July 23, 2019 7:15 pm  #6

Only about 80,000 watching early on in the game.

[Edit: The highest "currently watching" reached about 180,000 and change. Not exactly an overwhelming number considering it was free and available in many places worldwide.]

Last edited by RadioActive (July 23, 2019 10:00 pm)

July 23, 2019 10:29 pm  #7

Rogers owns a cable company. Why on earth are they participating in this farce?

Last edited by cash (July 23, 2019 10:35 pm)

July 23, 2019 11:09 pm  #8

cash wrote:

Rogers owns a cable company. Why on earth are they participating in this farce?

I agree with your sentiment cash;  but I don't believe they have a choice.  Last year it was Facebook and now YouTube.  This online streaming is an MLB initiative with the games assigned and participation mandatory.

July 24, 2019 9:06 am  #9

I'm probably being naive, but what, exactly does MLB or YouTube get out of this? They had less than 200,000 people watching during the game (although admittedly, it wasn't exactly a marquee match, considering how bad the Jays are this year.)

But the small audience is nowhere near what the Jays get on a regular Sportsnet broadcast - which is only seen in Canada. YouTube is worldwide and had such a meagre viewership, it's almost embarrassing.  And yet they blanketed the airwaves with radio ads non-stop for a week, which surely could not have been cheap and they're probably doing the same thing in other markets.  

So why do it? Is it a test for some future initiative? A publicity stunt? Trying to capture a Millennial audience that wouldn't otherwise watch a game? What's the point of this - or, you should pardon the expression, the end game?