sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 18, 2019 9:46 pm  #1

CBC Radio1 K/W Stereo/mono?

I've been listening to CBC Radio 1 out of Kitchener for a few years now and noticed that all of their content is broadcast in mono.  All the music that they play (Beatles, etc) is in mono, where if I switch over to the Toronto CBC, it's in Stereo.
Anyone else notice this (or care?)

Davester.

July 19, 2019 12:36 am  #2

Re: CBC Radio1 K/W Stereo/mono?

I'm surprised to hear (read?) you say you're getting Radio 1 in stereo. AFAIK, Toronto's 99.1 signal has always been mono, which is a sore point with me.

Some here have suggested since so much of their programming is talk, they skipped stereo for a more stable signal. But I've always believed that's such a tremendous waste of one of FM's better features over their old 740 output on AM.

Are you sure you weren't thinking of CBC Music, formerly known as Radio 2? That one is in stereo, although very few seem to listen to it.

July 19, 2019 6:57 am  #3

When CBLA-FM originally signed on, it was in stereo for a time. They got complaints from places like Hamilton about the stereo static so they switched it off

July 19, 2019 8:59 am  #4

Would be interesting to see if any CBC Radio 1 FM stations broadcast in stereo. Certainly some music programs like Vinyl Tap would benefit but there would be obviously some reception issues.

I think Vinyl tap as heard on CBC Music is in stereo but I just checked the web site and the stream of archived shows appears to be in mono. I listened to the beginnings of shows entitled Bubblegum Pop parts A and B ( # 39 and 40). Incidentally Randy makes an error in part one ( and yes I am veering off topic) and plays Yummy, Yummy Yummy and says it's by the 1910 Fruitgum Co and we all know it's by the manufactured Ohio Express ( and not the real one and there was a real group on the first hit Beg, Borrow and Steal).  Also in the part B they play Love Grows but it's a bad remake and not the hit version. Ok well some of the originals were bad too but some were guilty pleasures.

Last edited by Fitz (July 19, 2019 9:00 am)

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

July 19, 2019 10:58 am  #5

Is it because mono "hides" the static sound when the signal is weak and stereo emphasizes it?  Like pushing the stereo on/off button on a receiver to hide the hiss?

July 19, 2019 12:08 pm  #6

markow202 wrote:

Is it because mono "hides" the static sound when the signal is weak and stereo emphasizes it?  Like pushing the stereo on/off button on a receiver to hide the hiss?

That and the fact that a mono FM signal propagates better although no commercial music station since the early 1970's has chosen to stay mono for obvious reasons.

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

July 20, 2019 6:54 pm  #7

Well, thanks for the explanation...
I guess what I hear is better quality audio coming from the Toronto feed when driving down the 401.
And yes, I noticed this when listening to Vinyl Tap.
Too bad it's not in Stereo.

July 20, 2019 10:47 pm  #8

Fitz wrote:

markow202 wrote:

That and the fact that a mono FM signal propagates better although no commercial music station since the early 1970's has chosen to stay mono for obvious reasons.

CKNR Elliot Lake was in Mono when they signed on in 1997. I know of major market stations that run 3 db or 6 db reduced stereo separation to overcome distant listening issues with less than ideal coverage.