sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 18, 2019 10:03 pm  #1

CBC's planned series on Serial Killer Paul Bernardo-is dividing staff

What would you do if you were the executive in charge of news/current affairs programming at the CBC?

Would you okay a production on Paul Bernardo and air it on  the Fifth Estate despite it dividing your staff, let alone repulsing your audience as well?

I am not sure I'd okay this program for airing...in fact, I wouldn't...

Here is more on the story...

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts/article-as-viewership-drops-cbcs-the-fifth-estate-eyes-a-series-about-paul/

ed. note... If the CBC really wants to alienate its staff maybe have Jian Ghomeshi narrate it...

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

July 18, 2019 11:14 pm  #2

Re: CBC's planned series on Serial Killer Paul Bernardo-is dividing staff

It sounds to me that a possible boost to Fifth Estate ratings is more important than the feelings of those who were most affected by these stories. What good reason is there for these families and individuals to relive their horrors...again. Make that an emphatic No from me. Nothing to see here.

July 18, 2019 11:35 pm  #3

The CBC doesn't sensationalize anything.  Their documentary series on hockey, a sport Canadians are so passionate about that pre-season inter-squad games get national TV coverage, was so boring that no one watched after episode 1.  
This is the Fifth Estate, not Dateline or 48 Hours.  I say handle it with sensitivity and air it.

July 18, 2019 11:44 pm  #4

let them fade away behind bars while the families try to get on with their lives.