sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 5, 2019 8:57 am  #1

Do You Want The Government To Mandate Cancon on The Internet?

If the answer is no, you'll likely be disappointed. At least if you read a brief statement from federal Heritage Minister Pablo Rodriguez. He makes it clear the government seems ready to stick its nose into the web and force everyone who does business in Canada to be their own "CBC."

"We want a system where our creators and our businesses in the cultural sector compete on a level playing field with global Internet giants...Canadians must continue to access Canadian stories, created by Canadians in both English and French, on all platforms. We believe that the government has a key role to play in that and, rest assured, we intend to fulfil that role."

I'm of two minds about this. While I fully support Canadians making money and keeping people here employed, I get very nervous when they try to regulate content - especially when a lot of it goes to create programming most of us never watch. (When was the last time you accessed anything on "Gem?") And I resent the use of the term "must," as in "Canadians must continue to access Canadian stories." I just don't like the tone of that sentence.  

I don't want the government to insinuate itself into the web, because where will it stop? And if history is any indication, all of us will end up paying higher fees when these giants are forced to pony up (or, for some, throw away) money to make shows you'll more than likely never see.

As if you don't pay too much already.

Minister's Statement

July 5, 2019 9:25 am  #2

Re: Do You Want The Government To Mandate Cancon on The Internet?

"This situation is hurting our economy, our workforce, and our culture."

What a bunch of nonsense. 

Last edited by Scraps (July 5, 2019 9:25 am)

July 5, 2019 10:43 am  #3

"We want a system where our creators and our businesses in the cultural sector compete on a level playing field with global Internet giants...Canadians must continue to access Canadian stories, created by Canadians in both English and French, on all platforms. We believe that the government has a key role to play in that and, rest assured, we intend to fulfil that role."

More first world problems...

Last edited by Glen Warren (July 5, 2019 10:43 am)

July 5, 2019 4:47 pm  #4

More bullshit from Trudeau

Pull the fucking trap door on the little prick

July 5, 2019 7:17 pm  #5

can somebody mandate the government to direct their energy towards things that really matter?

Last edited by the original hank (July 6, 2019 1:57 am)