sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 1, 2019 3:52 pm  #1

A Great Radio Voice From Eons Ago In Buffalo Retires

There probably won't be a lot of people here who remember the name Lorne Owens. He used to go by the name "L.O." when he worked all-too-briefly in the mid-70s for the now extinct WEBR 970 in Buffalo. He did the afternoon drive shift and he was simply incredible. As a teenage-crazed radio fan, I used to rush home from high school just to listen to him every day. 

I can't tell you how funny his show was and he remains one of my all-time heros. I still remember his final show. He went on the air at the end of his program with no advance warning and said, "And that's it for me, Hopefully, we'll meet somewhere down the rocky road of rock and roll radio." And he was gone. My afternoons were never quite the same after that. 

It turns out, he became something of a sensation in Boston, where he stayed in the morning slot at WROR-FM with a co-host for the past 38 years! But just like all those decades ago, he went on the radio Friday and suddenly announced his departure after he and the station failed to reach a new contract. 

I'm guessing most here have never heard him, but trust me, he was absolutely hilariously entertaining. One of his bits, "Mr. Showbiz Answers Questions," still lingers in my ever-fading memory. It went something like this:

Dear Mr. Show Biz: My relatives are coming over for Thanksgiving dinner and I want to make something called Turkey Napoleon. Problem is, I don't have the recipe. Can you tell me how to make Turkey Napoleon?"

And the answer was, "Well Napoleon turkey is where you only serve the Boney-partes." 

OK, corny as hell. But it made me laugh back then and that's all I cared about.

Anyway, for the two or three people who remember this guy, here's the story on his apparently final sign-off. 

A Boston radio fixture is off the air after nearly four decades  

July 1, 2019 5:54 pm  #2

Re: A Great Radio Voice From Eons Ago In Buffalo Retires

About a year ago, I came across this video of Lorne and Wally from 1991.  Just listen to Lorne's voice on this aircheck.  It's exactly how I wish I could sound.  What a voice!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6EE8KPlqwE

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

July 1, 2019 6:05 pm  #3

As I listen to him again for the first time in years - he didn't quite have that voice in Buffalo, but he was a lot younger then - he sounds an awful lot like Mike Cooper. 

July 1, 2019 8:51 pm  #4

I believe Perry Allen and Possum Riley were also in that WEBR lineup. They were a good station for a while.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram