sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 24, 2019 9:45 am  #1

CHML 8:55 am sports today

They liked last Friday's 8:55 am sportscast so much they ran it again today!

June 24, 2019 9:54 am  #2

Re: CHML 8:55 am sports today

I have to question if this is done on purpose, OR a pre-recorded cast, that someone didn't update and someone didn't put a end date on to ensure it can't run past the day it was recorded.   It would be better to skip the cast, than run OLD news/sports/weather.     I just don't understand why if pre-recorded carts are in play, why they can't set end dates as a safety.  

June 24, 2019 10:04 am  #3

It's done as a reminder that if you want current sports there's sports down the dial at the competition.
If you want news/talk, CHML has that. 
Why they encourage listeners to go to the competition is anyone's guess, but that is what they are doing...

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

June 24, 2019 10:44 am  #4

MY apology.  Make that the 7:55 am sports

I must be in the Twilight Zone!

June 24, 2019 10:49 am  #5

So mistakes can happen to the best of us...

There's a thousand reasons what may have caused this, from a corrupt upload to someone recording the new one under the wrong code.  

Broodcaster wrote:

MY apology.  Make that the 7:55 am sports

I must be in the Twilight Zone!

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

June 24, 2019 11:00 am  #6

Iain is right of course. Accidents can happen and sometimes all it takes is a single slipped digit. 

But this has happened before at a Corus station. Here's a post from August of last year about 640, in which they repeatedly aired a three or four day old newscast not once or twice, but over and over again.

I have a few sources who tell me the Canadian Press folks found out about this error through SOWNY and were mightily P.O.-ed because it made them look (sound?) terrible. But I'm told the response they got when they contacted 640 was indifference. They didn't really seem to care about the mistake at all. Odd.

Still, I haven't heard them repeat this error since and they take a lot of the CP top and bottom of the hour newscasts on the weekend. So it appears somebody fixed something. 

June 24, 2019 11:09 am  #7

To err is human...

Heard lots of mistakes including - dig this - promos buried deep in a recorded program where the employee had either left the workplace of their own doing or had been walked out the door fired.

Sloppy no doubt but sure makes for some eye opening listening doesn't it? 

June 24, 2019 12:07 pm  #8

I know this sounds revolutionary and goes against all that is digital, but why not do the sportscast live?

June 24, 2019 2:19 pm  #9

Broodcaster wrote:

I know this sounds revolutionary and goes against all that is digital, but why not do the sportscast live?

Because cost.... It's cheaper to have one guy do the cast on a few stations VS doing all of them live.   It's a reality in 2019.     I've dealt with pre-recorded news/sports/weather for years, but we always put end dates on the cart to ensure old ones would never run....   If they come up as N/A, it gave people time to react.   From the many issues on 640 with old news running and other Corus news talkers, my guess is they are leaving the carts open ended, OR making the end date set automatically too wide open.     It's a ticking time bomb doing this.    It would be better to have it be skipped than running day old info. 

June 24, 2019 2:30 pm  #10

As the saying goes: If in doubt, leave it out.

June 24, 2019 3:31 pm  #11

What really surprises me is that CHML actually has a sports person doing a segment at all. CFRB, as an example, is a big talk station that got rid of their sportscasters a long time ago, although in a pinch - like with the Raptors - they can do a debrief with some of the TSN guys and gals.

But the days of the separate sports person like Bill Stephenson (or more recently, Mike Toth) are long, long over. CFMJ 640 doesn't have a sportscaster either, giving scores at the end of their newscasts instead. Given that CHML is a Corus station, I'm frankly surprised they even have such a staffer. (Although perhaps it's because they do a large newswheel in drivetime around their talk programming that accounts for why that position still exists there at all.)  

That said, there can't be anything worse than airing an old sportscast, with ancient scores from previous days. You might be able to fool a casual listener with yesterday's news, especially if they don't follow more than the headlines. But sports is so specific and time sensitive that it stands out like the proverbial sore thumb when it's out of date. 

June 24, 2019 5:09 pm  #12

RadioActive wrote:

What really surprises me is that CHML actually has a sports person doing a segment at all.     

That same CHML jock sniffer can be heard on AM 980 CFPL in London every weekday morning too

There may be other stations - I don't know.

A Swiss army knife kind of guy if there ever was one...

Last edited by unclefester (June 24, 2019 5:35 pm)