sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 22, 2019 10:53 pm  #1

Instant Replay: CKEY - Top 40’s Great Pretender & Beyond

Last week, we looked at CKEY’s early days as a challenger to CFRB and the CBC. But in 1959, the station went in a very different direction – taking on CHUM for a Top 40 audience.

The path to rock and roll wasn’t really all that smooth. They switched format to attract a teen audience, going after CHUM in 1958, only to revert back to a “sweet 60’s” playlist, trying to get the CRTC’s favour so they could get a TV licence. (More on that in a moment.) When that didn’t work, they reverted to a bizarre mixed bag – MOR during the day, and Top 40 at night.

Despite that divided format, some familiar names quickly came over to the new rocker, including one that may surprise you.

David Mickie (later Marsden) made a big splash doing nights on the station. He was one of the “Good Guys,” a familiar phrase for on-air staffers that came from other stations in the U.S. While he was the nominal star, he wasn’t the only personality there.

1963 CKEY Good Guys. J. P. Finnegan, Duff Roman, Big G Walters, Lee Vogel (in drag), Bill Brady and Dave Mickie.

(Photos courtesy of Doug Thompson)

For decades, CKEY had been sitting at 580. In 1962, the station made a surprising move to improve its signal.

When Al Boliska departed CHUM for CKEY, it was a huge blow to 1050, where he’d become a big star. But it also paved the way for Jungle Jay Nelson from Buffalo, who became so popular he left many to wonder “Al who?”

Here’s the station schedule from October 1963, which included all those Good Guys, and even an early morning Farm Report.

(Photo/schedule courtesy of Doug Thompson)

If you look closely at the photos below from 1964, you’ll notice some other soon-to-be famous names. There’s future CHUM star Duff Roman. John Dolan would go on to have a long career at CFRB. Big G Walters became a notorious name at several radio stations. And Norm Perry would find bigger fame as a newsman at CFTO-TV.

(Photo courtesy of Doug Thompson)

It’s not that ‘EY didn’t try to keep up with notoriously promo happy CHUM. They advertised everywhere, including the subway.

When CHUM “Checked from The Ex”, CKEY sent its colourful Circus Wagon to get attention.

There were special cards, giveaways and contests designed for a teenage audience.

(Photos courtesy of Doug Thompson)

They even tried to compete with the CHUM Chart, besting their Top 50 with a Top 58.

In a July 7, 1963 Silver Dollar Survey, CKEY remarkably referred to CHUM without actually naming their competitor, wondering who was first in Toronto teen radio in many innovative ways and implying 1050 was copying them.

(Chart courtesy of Doug Thompson)

They even tried to get your “vote,” as the station for the hits – and election coverage.

When the station eventually changed to an easy listening format, Al Boliska made a surprising choice for his next gig.

The rock may have continued but Jack Kent Cooke became embroiled in a bizarre series of events involving WKBW and KRLA in Los Angeles that eventually led to CKEY being put up for sale.

In the end, it was Cooke’s plan to head to the U.S. that spelled the end of ’EY as a rock station.

It finally went to a new owner for big bucks in 1961.

The format went from the “Silver Dollar Survey” to a shade of gray, as CKEY shifted to MOR. They soon went after CFRB in a big way, appointing Keith Rich as their longtime morning man. But as it turns out, this wasn’t his first go round at the station, as this blurb from 1962 proves.

They also went about hiring well known names to populate a rapidly growing newsroom.

Among the famous voices that called 590 home over the years: Pierre Berton, Charles Templeton, Stephen Lewis, Ian Brownlee, Bob Crabbe and Tom Gould.

Pete McGarvey was a wonderful man who did a wonderful job on air.

And then there was morning newscaster Joe Morgan, with whom I had exactly one run-in around 1977.

It started when my late grandmother – whose own mom ran a rooming house on Parliament St. – told me that Morgan had once stayed there. “He was a bum!” she told me in a very frank way. I started my career in the ’EY newsroom, located at the top of the Toronto Star Building, and one day, when Morgan had finished his morning news, he walked by this newcomer with a newspaper folded under his arm.

I wanted to see if what my grandmother had told me was true. So I timidly approached him. “Hey, Mr. Morgan,” I said. “My grandmother told me you once lived in her mother’s rooming house.”

I’ll never forget his response.

“I never lived in the slums!” he shouted at me in a voice that sounded like rough sandpaper mixed with gargled glass, before ending with, “I’m going to the shithouse.” And with that he walked out of the newsroom and I never spoke to him again.

Nor did I want to.

CKEY tried endlessly to branch out. In the early 60s, it desperately wanted to get a Toronto TV station.

And it also tried to start a record company.

In the end, the MOR was no more and CKEY tried country, oldies and others, but nothing worked. The station switched frequencies with CJCL, with the former moving to 1430 and the latter taking over 590 as The Fan. By this time called CKYC, the station was sold to Fairchild, a company that would turn it into CHKT – still on the air as an all Chinese language radio format.   

It was a sad ending for a station that had been a big player on Toronto airwaves since 1924.

One last weird mystery. Some here will remember when CKEY proposed a swap with all news CKO, hoping to change its 590 frequency to 99.1. It didn’t go through and although CKEY desperately wanted an FM station, it never happened. Which leads to this question: whatever became of the one they were awarded back in 1949?

Special thanks again to Doug Thompson, for his terrific additions to this week’s Instant Replay. Next week, Radio: The Way We Were - some things about Toronto’s early radio dial you may never have known.

June 23, 2019 11:10 am  #2

Re: Instant Replay: CKEY - Top 40’s Great Pretender & Beyond

Great work as always RA. CKEY was a great station in its day, with a news staff that rivaled CFRB's. From the days when radio stations had people in them around the clock!

I still remember - like it was yesterday - the day CKEY switched from 580 to 590. As I recall, it was in the morning at around 8:00 a.m. Our whole family was in the kitchen - getting ready for the day - when the switch happened.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

June 23, 2019 12:19 pm  #3

Thanks Dale, I think this is my favourite one, if only because of Doug Thompson's additions. The quality of his stuff was pristine and I'd never seen any of them before - nor the ones you just added.

It's amazing to me that CKEY was around for so long, but no one really thought to save anything. What a history. And what a loss that so much of it is gone forever. 

June 23, 2019 2:34 pm  #4

RA, THANK YOU FOR MY “teen” memories.  David Marsden still has that wonderful head of hair.  Brings back memories of doing homework in my bedroom listening to Duff, Big G and John Dolan & the other CKEY gang.  Played baseball against John Dolan & The CKEY Good Guys in Oshawa.  Thank you again for your love of radio.

And thank you to ‘EY, CHUM & KB Radio for being the soundtrack of my youth.  Let’s not forget 1060 WUFO for the best in R&B. There dial position too close to CHUM’s 1050 to come in clear most of the time.

June 23, 2019 3:55 pm  #5

Dale Patterson wrote:

Isn't it amazing how appropriate this logo is on the day of Toronto's Pride parade! Wonder how they knew?

John D wrote:

RA, THANK YOU FOR MY “teen” memories. David Marsden still has that wonderful head of hair. Brings back memories of doing homework in my bedroom listening to Duff, Big G and John Dolan & the other CKEY gang. Played baseball against John Dolan & The CKEY Good Guys in Oshawa. Thank you again for your love of radio.

And thank you to ‘EY, CHUM & KB Radio for being the soundtrack of my youth. Let’s not forget 1060 WUFO for the best in R&B. There dial position too close to CHUM’s 1050 to come in clear most of the time.

Hey John, I always wondered who your influences were. Now I know! Everyone has a story about listening to the radio when they were a kid and thinking,"That's what I want to do."

For the few of us whose parents weren't able to talk us out of it and get a real job, everyone seems to have that influence. Mine were CHUM, CKFH and - unlike most here - WGAR Cleveland and WNBC New York.

The latter station in the mid-70s will always be my favourite for the things they got away with on the air that I haven't heard the likes of since. (Like the day they pretended that their signal was taken over by Radio Moscow and threw to a traffic report that stated things were backed up on the only highway, because the yak died. Hilarious and I remember it to this day!) 

June 23, 2019 5:33 pm  #6

Just a minor correction to John D’s nostalgia. WUFO was at 1080 on the AM dial. (1060 AM was KYW out of Cleveland). I spent my mid teens in Clarkson near the CHUM and CFRB transmitters. It was tough to hear anything in the middle of the dial with those two transmitters operating

June 23, 2019 6:52 pm  #7

Thank you Damian for shaking my memory. Much appreciated.

Last edited by John D (June 23, 2019 6:56 pm)

June 23, 2019 6:58 pm  #8

RA.  Also Bruce Bradley out of WBZ Boston and on a clear night, John R out of Nashville TN.

June 23, 2019 7:16 pm  #9

Without meaning to suck up, but somehow doing it anyway, how about John Donabie on CKFH? One of the greats and I used to listen all the time while 'FH was still 'FH. Didn't last long enough, unfortunately. 

Another class act (and he still is) was the Real Bob James on WGAR Cleveland (and later of WNBC New York.) This guy was absolutely great on a show that had more laughs in it in a single night than a season full of sitcoms. I was lucky enough to meet Bob over the Internet after making a nice comment about him on a site and he contacted me via email. 

That sparked a decades-long friendship and he even invited me to come see him when he made his first (and so far only) visit to Toronto earlier this year. When someone you admire so much turns out to be even nicer than you could have hoped, it's an amazing experience. 

Some of his lines I remember:

-Gentle Ben had bear feet

-I think the woman attacked in "Jaws" had a dandruff problem. She left her head and shoulders on the beach.

And a line that wouldn't be politically correct today, but was a brilliant pun back then, and I'm sorry, it still makes me laugh..

-That's from their latest album,"She criticized my apartment, so I knocked her flat."

Last edited by RadioActive (June 23, 2019 7:23 pm)

June 23, 2019 9:31 pm  #10

John D wrote:

RA. Also Bruce Bradley out of WBZ Boston and on a clear night, John R out of Nashville TN.

Note #6

June 23, 2019 9:52 pm  #11

It's a clear night and I think I'm getting WLAC and "Hey John R., whatcha gonna do."

http://rockradioscrapbook.ca/wlac-johnr-apr69-u.mp3

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

June 24, 2019 9:47 am  #12

RA, I humbly thank you for your comments.  It means a lot to me.

June 24, 2019 12:49 pm  #13

As noted above, it appears that CKEY did get an approval for an FM licence back in 1949 long before CKO was around. But somehow, it never got to air. I'd love to know what happened. 

Broadcasting-History.ca's entry on the station indicates it got the licence in 1949 but it never says why the station wasn't put on air. How badly did they try to get on that band? Consider this: In 1972, they attempted to buy CHIC-FM, and move the place to Toronto, where it would eventually become Canada's first all news station. But the CRTC turned them down because that outlet had been licenced to serve Brampton, not Toronto. 

Many here will be thankful it never happened or the Spirit of Radio, CFNY, might never have debuted at all.   

They also tried for 99.1 in 1976, for a proposed sister station that would have again been all news, with the suggested calls of CFYI. It went to CKO instead and we all know how that ended. 

To complete the circle, it was CKEY that scooped CKO on its final news story, reporting on the demise of the national all news network before they could announce it themselves.

June 24, 2019 5:19 pm  #14

I wonder what happened to the CKEY FM license?  Not ever an entity.  I was at EY as an operator in 72-and early '73 before heading up to North Bay to get 'the ball' really rolling.  That was the Keith, Pat, Johnny, Bud and Jim era with the huge newsroom and Ron Morey as the show host fill-in guy.  I operated for Jim...same birthday...and often for Keith.  My good friend Robert Payne was still there when I returned in '85.  Bob Crab too.  Keith left soon thereafter to be replaced by John Rode.  Keith went to The Music of Your  Life at CJCL was it ... by then?

Used to love Al Boliska on CHUM and then 'EY...Duff and then Danny...Big G. and Dave Mickey.  CHUM sounded 'old' to me.  Jay helped to get that moving some.  Donnie Burns   and then Jackson Armstrong really changed that up.  Then along came better might time programming on CKFH...Big G again...and Special K...I recall Tom Fulton and Keith Hampshire being pretty fine and then the guy I followed over to C.H.U.M. FM...John Donabie.  Now THAT was a radio station!!!  'Interconnectivity'.  One thing leads to another... ... ...One Oh four point five in stereo.
For me it began with CHUM and CKEY and the long drives in the 50s when the only radio stations we could get between Toronto and Lucknow used to play songs by really cool sounding people like Fats Domino, Elvis Presley and The Everly Brothers.  My love affair with the idea of radio was forged and cemented.  Thanks to *my* pioneers.  You all taught me a LOT.