sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 22, 2019 4:12 pm  #1

Loto Max

Listening the last couple of weekends to Claude Feig doing top of the hour morning news on Newstalk 1010.

Near the end of his 'cast he states something like... 

"no winner in last nights Loto Max -- this Tuesday's jackpot XX million"

We're not talking about a 70 million dollar jackpot - I think the prize mentioned  was about 14 million.

It's a brief read - in and out. Two sentences. And then it's on to something else.

It's stuck in the body of the newscast. I strongly suspect Loto Max is paying for this 6 second live blurb

Is there a good reason for mentioning such modest Loto Max jackpots over and over every weekend?

Am I right?  To me the way it's being done just doesn't fit properly...

June 22, 2019 5:36 pm  #2

Re: Loto Max

As has been discussed previously, it looks like alarming nonsense is going on in the cfrb newsroom.

June 22, 2019 6:11 pm  #3

Radio is a business FIRST. Everything else second. Anything that brings revenue to a radio station (CRTC friendly) is gladly welcome any way they can get it.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

June 22, 2019 7:53 pm  #4

Radiowiz wrote:

Radio is a business FIRST. 

Sure; but good business isn't just simply taking money *now* for *anything.* Compromising your news product for a quick buck can erode audience and have a larger long-term effect on getting that business in the first place. The more you see that happening, the more the owners are simply cashing out - future be damned.

Last edited by RadioAaron (June 22, 2019 7:53 pm)