sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 20, 2019 10:54 am  #1

Website Looks Back On Classic DJs & Radio News People

This site has apparently been around or a while, but I stumbled on it by accident. It's called "DJ Master Control," and for those into radio history, it's a goldmine of old pics of radio greats. It features photos of classic jocks during their glory days, shots of radio signs outside stations, memorabilia and more. The shot of a very young Don Imus on an obscure radio station chart was simply amazing.

If you're at all into the golden days of Top 40, this is truly a "site" to see.  

June 20, 2019 9:07 pm  #2

Re: Website Looks Back On Classic DJs & Radio News People

Just thought I'd add this one as displayed on the above linked site. Can anyone ID these jocks?

Here's another one. Can you guess who this is? (Answer below)

Believe it or not, it's a very young Lester Holt, currently the anchor of NBC Nightly News. 

Last edited by RadioActive (June 20, 2019 9:10 pm)

June 20, 2019 9:44 pm  #3

OK, sorry just one more. I couldn't resist. Check out a very, very, very young Dick Smyth in this early LW ad. Although I can't quite picture him as a "Happy Fella!"

June 20, 2019 11:12 pm  #4

Is that Mike Marshall / Frank Brodie third from the left on the CKLW Big 30?

June 21, 2019 1:44 am  #5

TomSanders wrote:

I believe it is. Maybe Mike can confirm. I wonder who the other jocks are?

Last edited by Dale Patterson (June 21, 2019 1:45 am)

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

June 21, 2019 9:50 am  #6

TomSanders wrote:

It is, Tom.

Dale Patterson wrote:

I believe it is. Maybe Mike can confirm. I wonder who the other jocks are?

From the left: Big Jim Edwards, Duke Roberts, me, Steve Hunter, Daryl B, Gary Hart, Eddie Russell.
The picture was taken when  we took the shot used inside the fold on the CKLW Solid Gold double LP.
https://www.discogs.com/Various-CKLW-Solid-Gold/release/555063
Click on More Images
The front of my copy looks about the same as the cover shown above. Come to think of it, I'm a little worse for wear, myself.
Great Web site, RA. Thanks.

Last edited by mike marshall (June 21, 2019 4:41 pm)

June 21, 2019 10:15 am  #7

And of course, Big Jim Edwards was none other than Jim Brady-in-the-Morning (aka the late Jim Felton) from CFTR. I was lucky enough to get to know him and he was a wonderful man and is very much missed. Here he is during a CKLW reunion weekend in Detroit in 1985.

June 21, 2019 5:12 pm  #8

>> I was an announcer at the Big 8 for a brief time in 1971. In fact, I'm the guy at the front of the line on the chart you've posted. I was called Eddie Russell, "Fast Eddie Russell" and did swing which consisted of a couple of overnight and evening shows a week. I was part of RKO's attempt to Canadianize the station. Paul Drew went accross Canada looking for a few Canadian jocks. He hired Daryl B. from Vancouver, Gary Hart from Winnipeg and I was in Regina Saskatchewan. I'm not exactly legendary from my stint at the Big 8. I believe My tour of duty was only 8 weeks. I'm afraid Paul Drew was a little too much for me to take and I resigned the day after he had called me an countless times on the bat phone. I was staying at the imfanous Holiday Inn on the Detroit river. All new jocks got put up there. I remember checking out the morning I resigned. I was certain that they'd stick me with the bill if I quit first. Paul Drew made me work out my last two weeks. He called my mother in Winnipeg and talked to her for more than half an hour telling her that I was making the mistake of my life and that she should do everything in her power to get me to change my mind. I never did get my last pay check. They instead sent me a bill for my charges at the Holiday Inn. Paul's parting words to me after my last show was that I was an idiot and would probably end up a drug addict or alcoholic. My only other claim to fame is that The Big 8 produced a Gold double album that it sold that summer and I'm on the inside, one hand outstretched with the peace sign, the other with a peace sign. Sadly I lost my copy in one of my many moves.

The order of the people on The CKLW BIG 30 are, front to back, Eddie Russell, Gary Hart, Daryl B, Steve Hunter, Frank Brodie, Duke Roberts and Big Jim Edwards.

My real name in Norman Vidler although my radio name, with the exception of my stint in Windsor, is Gary Russell. I continue to live in Canada and am still in the industry. I'm the Vice President - General Manager of Z95.3 / C-ISL in Vancouver. I've just celebrated my 30-th year in this incredible industry and still utilize some of the things I learnt at The Big 8. It was a special station and I would have gotten more out of it had I been a little more mature. I was only 21 and had been in the Biz a mere three years when I landed at CKLW. <<

That's an undated snip from The Classic CKLW Page - Listener Recollections. The site has been frozen for several years. This bit gives you a feel for the pressure two-time PD Paul Drew could exert. Some guys just wouldn't deal with it.

June 21, 2019 5:56 pm  #9

I've been informed by a very reliable source that Jim Brady actually went by the name Mark Richards on CKLW, and that Jim Davis was Big Jim Edwards. My apologies if I got that wrong. I only knew him as Brady and that was more than 30 years ago.

However the guy in the YouTube clip not only looks like Jim Felton, but sounds exactly like him. 

Either way, the following is in honour (I think) of Mike Marshall, who I hope finds it as funny as I did. It's also from the DJ site listed above. I have no idea where they got it from or who created it.

June 21, 2019 6:04 pm  #10

RadioActive wrote:

The late Terrible Ted Lindsay on sports...

Neato

June 21, 2019 8:17 pm  #11

One more for Mike Marshall, with thanks to DJMasterControl.com for letting us use all these pics.