sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 20, 2019 1:17 am  #1

Breaking .... Bob McCown leaving the Fan 590 end of this week

According to several tweets in the Twitterverse, veteran sports radio personality and broadcaster Bob McCown is ending his afternoon drive show on Rogers the Fan 590, hosting his last Prime Time Sports show Thursday, or Friday this week, with Jeff Blair taking over as interim host.

Every few years the idea of Bob leaving Toronto radio pops up. The way the Blue Jays are playing, and will be playing for the foreseeable future, he could be forgiven for wanting to take the rest of the summer off.

Regarding his imminent departure from the Fan 590, to borrow one of Bob's sayings, it's a definite possibility "there's no there there".

Tweets have been wrong before... tweets have also been right... time will tell.

Last edited by betaylored (June 20, 2019 7:14 pm)

June 20, 2019 12:15 pm  #2

Re: Breaking .... Bob McCown leaving the Fan 590 end of this week

Toronto Sports Media is reporting that today's show will be Bob's final PTS broadcast;  with many others also being let go from Sportsnet.

https://torontosportsmedia.com/2019/06/20/sportsnet-prepares-for-massive-layoffs/

Last edited by Media Observer (June 20, 2019 12:15 pm)

June 20, 2019 1:33 pm  #3

There are some great and honest people at Rogers Sportsnet that I've worked with and know personally...there are also a few backstabbing, egomaniacal asshats...I hope the good ones remain and the asshats fall...

June 20, 2019 3:44 pm  #4

I'm not entirely sure when the linked article below was published, but it contains an amazing amount of future looks at what happens to McCown when he finally leaves - and it comes from the horse's mouth. (Some would have picked another part of the anatomy, but I chose not to!) 

This is from a Sportsnet interview with McCown - I think it was 2017 - and includes this at the end about the end, whenever it was supposed to come. If it holds true, there won't be any special mention of this being the final show.  

What’s going to happen when you leave? 

Don’t know. I don’t care.

You don’t? 

I don’t listen to the show when I’m not on it.

Have you thought about your last show and what it’ll look like? 

Here’s what I can promise you: No one will know it’ s my last show, except me.

Really? 

No chance. My announcement will be at one minute to seven on a Friday.

What will you say? 

“Well, that’s it for me. It’s been fun. Goodbye.”

No tears? 

Yeah, I’m gonna cry because I don’t have to work anymore and I get to do what I wanna do when I wanna do it. There’ll be maybe some cheering, but there won’t be any tears.

Bob McCown on the birth of The Fan and his on-air "character"

June 20, 2019 4:50 pm  #5

One hour in and no mention of any retirement. 

June 20, 2019 5:30 pm  #6

Johnny B wrote:

There are some great and honest people at Rogers Sportsnet that I've worked with and know personally...there are also a few backstabbing, egomaniacal asshats...I hope the good ones remain and the asshats fall...

I think you know it doesn' always happen that way, right?

June 20, 2019 6:22 pm  #7

June 20, 2019 6:31 pm  #8

CityNews says his last show will be Friday and the story is now out on The Canadian Press. 

"A rotating roster of hosts would fill in over the summer and a new afternoon drive show lineup will be announced in the fall, Sportsnet said."

Longtime sports radio host Bob McCown to leave Prime Time Sports on Friday

Last edited by RadioActive (June 20, 2019 6:40 pm)

June 20, 2019 6:53 pm  #9

Bob finally mentioned at the end that his last show will be tomorrow. 

June 21, 2019 6:09 pm  #10

I am going to miss the Bobcat...I am listening to his last show now...and he's top notch still...

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

June 21, 2019 7:07 pm  #11

If you missed McCown's final sign-off after 31 years, you can hear it here - if Soundcloud decides to leave it up.

True to his word, he didn't take more than a minute or so to end it all after three decades. 

Bob McCown's final sign-off on The Fan

June 21, 2019 9:57 pm  #12

Having a 30+ year run is unquestionably legendary.  Kudos for Mr. McCown.

But personally, he just didn't resonate with me.  I found his schtick pompous, arrogant &, to be frank, boring.

Hayes, Noodles & O'Dog for me ....

June 22, 2019 11:48 pm  #13

RadioActive wrote:

If you missed McCown's final sign-off after 31 years, you can hear it here - if Soundcloud decides to leave it up.

True to his word, he didn't take more than a minute or so to end it all after three decades. 

Bob McCown's final sign-off on The Fan

thanks RA, if SoundCloud does take it down, the Twitter accounts for Sportsnet 590 the Fan, and one of Bob's co-hosts for the last show, Michael Grange tweeted out television clips of Bobcat's adieu that people can check out.

I enjoyed the whole show Friday, the music bumpers were on the money, Joey Vendetta always brings a lot to the roundtable, and Bob was classic OG Bobcat. It must have felt a bit surreal to be sitting in that chair, doing the last radio show for the station you've been with for.ever.

Last edited by betaylored (June 23, 2019 12:43 am)

June 23, 2019 5:48 pm  #14

Veteran TV and radio scribe Bill Brioux has some always cogent observations about the end of the McCown era. 

McCown departure sign of shifting times in the media biz