sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 31, 2015 3:36 pm  #1

AM-740

The 1150-CKOC sports thread veered off into a discussion of what's wrong with AM-740     To counter that, here's a few programs I personally believe AM-740 gets right:

- Top 10 @ 10:00 a.m. weekdays
 - Robin Laine's 60s @ 6:00, 70s @ 7:00 etc etc (for reason stated by D. Thompson)
 - Dave Redinger & Alan Gelman Saturday mornings 10:00 - 11:00 (not music, but knowledgable hosts), and
 - Vintage Favorites w. Gene Stevens Sundays 2 - 4:00 (am enjoying it now), another host who knows his stuff

Kilgore

May 31, 2015 5:50 pm  #2

Re: AM-740

I wish AM 740 was on FM.  (I know MZ is arm twisting the CRTC to do it.)  I am downtown (in Toronto) a lot and the signal is poor.  I feel like I am listening to 1970s CFRB when I listening to the station (and I mean that in a good way).

Last edited by Leslieville Bill (May 31, 2015 5:51 pm)

- Not an industry person.  Just a guy with a love of Toronto radio. 

May 31, 2015 5:55 pm  #3

Agree with The Top 10 @ 10 Kilgore. It is a great feature and they do it well.  As I said in the other thread, I like Robbie Lane's programs a lot (FULL DISCLOSURE - Robbie and I are friends.  In fact, Robbie was the first person I profiled in Series I of my television program "Hi Fi Salutes" for the Hi Fi channel, which although completed in 2011, is still running on the channel today).  Robbie knows whereof he speaks and he puts a lot of work into his two daily hours.

To be honest, I'm not a fan of radio car shows, gardening shows, pet shows, home improvement programs, money talk shows, legal advice or anything of that ilk.  One exception is Iain Grant's "Ask The Experts" on Newstalk 1010 Saturday afternoons (FULL DISCLOSURE AGAIN:  Iain.is a longtime friend), but I would listen even if I didn't know Iain.

As for Gene Stevens, he's another broadcaster who knows his music and was there when it happened back in the day.  If I'm in the car Sunday afternoons, I'll always listen to Gene over anything else.

Brian Peroff's "Theatre of the Mind" is often excellent (it depends on the shows they're running).  The first half hour is usually a mystery or whodunit followed by a half hour old radio comedy.  I have a CD box set with dozens of the Jack Benny show on radio.  He was the master.  As I've spent much of my career creating radio and television programs as well as radio commercials and promos, Jack's seamless integration of Lucky Strike commercials into his regular program is a joy to listen to.  He usually had many of his regular cast involved. Classic, classic radio, of course that's just my opinion.             

Last edited by Doug Thompson (May 31, 2015 5:58 pm)

May 31, 2015 11:01 pm  #4

Leslieville Bill wrote:

I wish AM 740 was on FM.  (I know MZ is arm twisting the CRTC to do it.)  I am downtown (in Toronto) a lot and the signal is poor.  I feel like I am listening to 1970s CFRB when I listening to the station (and I mean that in a good way).

It looks like you'll get your wish - sort of. In case you missed the announcement on the old SOWNY board, the CRTC granted MZ Media permission for a nested FM transmitter to fill in the gaps in its downtown reception. The signal will be on 96.7 but whether it will help you or not depends on where you are. The power is only 22 watts with an ERP of just 82 watts. AM740 claimed it would shut the station down if the commission refused the application. We'll never know if that was an idle threat or a promise, since they got what they wanted. No word on exactly when the new signal will be up and running.

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2015/2015-162.htm

June 1, 2015 7:45 am  #5

RadioActive wrote:

Leslieville Bill wrote:

It looks like you'll get your wish - sort of. In case you missed the announcement on the old SOWNY board, the CRTC granted MZ Media permission for a nested FM transmitter to fill in the gaps in its downtown reception. The signal will be on 96.7 but whether it will help you or not depends on where you are. The power is only 22 watts with an ERP of just 82 watts. AM740 claimed it would shut the station down if the commission refused the application. We'll never know if that was an idle threat or a promise, since they got what they wanted. No word on exactly when the new signal will be up and running.

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2015/2015-162.htm

Thanks Radio Active!  Good to know.  Well, being Leslieville Bill I am in er, ... Leslieville!  We'll see how it goes.

- Not an industry person.  Just a guy with a love of Toronto radio. 

June 1, 2015 12:48 pm  #6

The transmitter will be on First Canadian Place.  Should be good line-of-sight reception in Leslieville and east of Bathurst Street,  north into the 'burbs'.

June 7, 2015 3:24 pm  #7

Doug Thompson wrote:

I'm not a fan of radio car shows, gardening shows, pet shows, home improvement programs, money talk shows, legal advice or anything of that ilk

Do you agree that Zoomers are often retirees who contribute to Canada's economy through classic car clubs, gardening activities, favorite pet companions, home renovation projects, money management issues and suing neighbors?

June 8, 2015 6:57 pm  #8

106.5 decided recently to start airing old time radio shows. 
Same time AM 740 airs theirs. 
http://voicesradio.ca/?p=891

Last edited by Radiowiz (June 8, 2015 7:01 pm)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

June 8, 2015 7:14 pm  #9

My fault.  I had no idea 740 was airing them at all, and to be honest didn't check.  I'm programing for stations across the country and 10pm till midnight fit in with the scheduling.   Ironically I'm working with George Grant.  All I had to do was ask .

With the amount of editing involved in most of the shows, because of either racial or more likely cigarette content, they're more of a pain than they're worth these days.  But the listeners are out there, and surprisingly younger than I would have figured.

ig.

Radiowiz wrote:

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

June 8, 2015 8:40 pm  #10

Wasn't George Grant the GM for Classical 96?  the name is familiar.....

June 8, 2015 8:48 pm  #11

splunge wrote:

Yup.

June 8, 2015 9:01 pm  #12

ig wrote:

splunge wrote:

Yup.

Any realation to Grant broadcasting from back in the day? (CKAR/CKQT Oshawa)

June 8, 2015 9:02 pm  #13

One in the same.  Unfortunately no relation when it comes to me .  At least not that we know about.

Radiowiz wrote:

ig wrote:

splunge wrote:

Yup.

Any realation to Grant broadcasting from back in the day? (CKAR/CKQT Oshawa)

June 8, 2015 9:11 pm  #14

splunge wrote:

the name is familiar . . .

nice trick posting about 740 exactly @ 7:40

June 8, 2015 9:14 pm  #15

ig wrote:

no relation when it comes to me .  At least not that we know about 

granted, there seem to be a lot of Grants; how about Nevin?

June 8, 2015 9:16 pm  #16

It's like left handed engineers. It's amazing when I'm in meetings how many people sitting around the table are south paws.

It's a numerology thing..    Maybe Grant is a broadcast name

geo wrote:

ig wrote:

no relation when it comes to me .  At least not that we know about 

granted, there seem to be a lot of Grants; how about Nevin?

June 8, 2015 9:51 pm  #17

Radiowiz wrote:

CHML airs old radio shows weeknights 10 p.m.-1 a.m.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

June 9, 2015 2:14 am  #18

Dale Patterson wrote:

Radiowiz wrote:

CHML airs old radio shows weeknights 10 p.m.-1 a.m.

Thankfully CHML is a different market, at least.

June 10, 2015 12:07 am  #19

Iain:  Happy to hear that you are editing those old shows for racial epithets, such as many contained during the war years.  CFRA used to run and possibly still does, those old shows overnight UNEDITED, even though I complained to the then program director about "gooks" and other words that shouldn't be heard.  He refused to do anything about it.

June 11, 2015 12:11 pm  #20

On June 7th, Kilgore wrote:
Do you agree that Zoomers are often retirees who contribute to Canada's economy through classic car clubs, gardening activities, favorite pet companions, home renovation projects, money management issues and suing neighbors?

Sorry Kilgore, what exactly does your statement have to do with my personal opinion that I'm not a fan (or listener) to those types of shows? (with the exception of Ian Grant's "Ask The Experts").  I'm not trying to convince anyone to not listen...I'm just stating the fact that I don't.

Last edited by Doug Thompson (June 11, 2015 4:42 pm)