sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 14, 2019 9:07 am  #1

Future of Video Journalism at Bell

'The net reduction in staffing will see traditional jobs replaced by video journalists. In traditional newsgathering, a reporting team would normally include the reporter and camera operator. The piece would then be edited in the studio by a designated editor. Video journalists would become all-in-one workers who would drive to the scene, shoot the report, present it, edit it and also write digital copy. Law estimated 300 station staff will be affected, but it’s too early to put a number on the job losses.'https://j-source.ca/article/the-future-of-videojournalism-at-ctv/

June 14, 2019 9:16 am  #2

Re: Future of Video Journalism at Bell

City TV has been doing this for years, although less so since the Rogers takeover. Dominic Sciullo, Danny Petkovsek (both now long gone from the station) and Audra Brown, who's still there, had been acting as videographers for years. I'm actually surprised it's taken this long to spread to always-money conscious CTV/Bell.  

June 14, 2019 12:35 pm  #3

Sadly though, when City has done videographers, they never tried to hide the fact it was them running the camera.   How Baton of years past, and I'm sure CTV will try is using a tripod, with very unframed shots pretending they have a camera person.    They always look horrible in my view when they are done like that.  With technology today, hopefully they can put a screen facing the talent so they are in frame AND don't try to use the tripod off to the side during interviews....   Accept people aren't stupid, and run the camera while doing the interview.  Although not as nice as a REAL camera person, it looks more real and less cable community channel.

Just my 2 cents. 

June 14, 2019 12:44 pm  #4

radiokid wrote:

Sadly though, when City has done videographers, they never tried to hide the fact it was them running the camera.

In fact, they were proud of what was then considered an innovation and always tried to emphasize it was a one-man (or woman) band. It got to the point where I began to wonder if Dominic Sciullo could be seen by the naked eye if there wasn't a side view mirror on a car where he could pick up his reflection during a stand-up.

June 16, 2019 11:58 am  #5

Bell has been doing this for quite some time in smaller market TV.  I've often seen reporters setting up cameras.  There is a downside as reporters tend to let the camera "roll".  When they go live I''ve seen instances  where the FB feed remains live and picks up everything they're saying.  I had to call one of my US clients and let them know they still live while getting a "hot tip" from Police on where to go next.  Competition best them there by leaving first.