sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 3, 2019 8:04 pm  #1

He lost! Finally! Holzhauer, lost just $58,484 of the winnings record

In a tight match Holzhauer lost tonight on Jeopardy...it reminded me of a close election campaign...

Where 2 power houses are neck and an neck, yet the third party is pulling votes away from the two big parties...and the new big party got the 2 double jeopardies to kind of make winning challenging for Holzhauer...

He's done, finito, quite the run!

As good as he was, I won't miss him one bit...

Here is more on the story

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/03/arts/television/james-holzhauer-jeopardy.html

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

June 3, 2019 9:05 pm  #2

Re: He lost! Finally! Holzhauer, lost just $58,484 of the winnings record

There is a plethora of online speculation that he threw the game on purpose, as evidenced by the fact he bet probably the smallest amount ever in Final Jeopardy. But as Alex Trebek says at the end of the episode, "We'll be seeing him again," likely setting the stage for a huge ratings-week match up between him, Ken Jennings and Brad Rutter, another all-time champ. 

What will be interesting now is to see if the woman who beat him wins on Tuesday. If memory serves, the lady who beat Jennings all those years ago promptly lost the very next day.

June 4, 2019 6:58 am  #3

Can he return to the tables in Las Vegas (now that his face is familiar to the world) or is he likely to be banned, like Dustin Hoffman's character in Rain Man, for counting cards (or whatever)?

June 4, 2019 7:49 am  #4

He didn't throw the game... the librarian had more money and she bet enough to beat him by $1 even if he had wagered everything he had. You can bet he'll be back on tournament of champions and maybe a head to head with Ken Jennings. It's rating gold and he was very gracious in defeat. 

June 4, 2019 7:59 am  #5

James had to bet $3,201 to beat her in the event she bet $0 (or more and missed the question).  That is the obvious strategy.  The fact that he bet only $1,399 is odd.  That amount does nothing for him.

- Not an industry person.  Just a guy with a love of Toronto radio. 

June 4, 2019 9:44 am  #6

He rolled the dice on them both getting it wrong. Not a bad strategy. He did not really make any mistakes. She got both the Daily Doubles in the Double round. If anything, she made a mistake in risking only $3,000 on the second one. That allowed him to stay close. He would not have made that mistake - he would have gone large and put her away.

I am having trouble even picturing Jeopardy without James, that is how huge his impact has been.

June 4, 2019 11:45 am  #7

We may not have heard the end of this just yet. The producers are planning to go after whoever leaked the footage of the loss online during the weekend, spoiling the big finish. 

“We think we know where and who and how,” [said executive producer Harry Friedman,] adding that the show will take “very, very, very appropriate” action against those responsible."

Talk about being in Jeopardy...

‘Jeopardy!’ producer: ‘Appropriate’ action planned in leak of James Holzhauer’s loss

June 4, 2019 11:49 am  #8

Leslieville Bill wrote:

James had to bet $3,201 to beat her in the event she bet $0 (or more and missed the question).  That is the obvious strategy.  The fact that he bet only $1,399 is odd.  That amount does nothing for him.

Actually it was the perfect bet. I just figured it out. It puts him $1 above the third place guy if he went all in and James got it wrong. He knew he could not catch Emma and likely inferred she would bet exactly what she did, so he ensured he would win if and only if she blundered on Final.

June 4, 2019 11:52 am  #9

June 4, 2019 11:57 am  #10

Interesting. I didn't get a paywall and I'm not a subscriber. But thanks for adding that. 

June 4, 2019 4:19 pm  #11

RadioActive wrote:

Interesting. I didn't get a paywall and I'm not a subscriber. But thanks for adding that. 

The Washington Post allows limited access (I can't recall the exact #) to free articles;  although their system isn't perfect and in my case simply changing the browser opened up the link...(this does not always work).

Regardless,  my thanks to 6079 Smith W for this unique source.

Last edited by Media Observer (June 4, 2019 4:21 pm)