sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 30, 2019 2:25 am  #1

Canuck Version of Family Feud On CBC This Fall

Name the top ten television game shows you wouldn't want to cross the border..

The multi-talented Gerry Dee has announced that he is to host the CBC's new game show "Family Feud: Canada" this fall.

Will the prizes be Canuck game show washing machine and dryer level, or something to get excited about winning.

The "Family Feud: Canada" show as pop culture news story could mean Mike Stafford and Tina T, John Moore, Jim Richards, all the radio hosts, with their roundtable contributors can discuss the upcoming show, and each will have their own (outrageous?) ideas on possible categories and answers. Which could be fun.

The top ten things you do at a hockey game.
The top ten things a border patrol officer confiscates.
Etc.

May 30, 2019 3:23 am  #2

Re: Canuck Version of Family Feud On CBC This Fall

I am looking forward to watching! Thank-you CBC! I hope Family Feud Canada does really well! 

National Post mentions that Battle of the Blades is also coming back this fall:
https://nationalpost.com/pmn/entertainment-pmn/family-feud-canada-doc-produced-by-samuel-l-jackson-among-new-cbc-series

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

May 30, 2019 9:30 am  #3

Zzzzzzzzzzz

May 30, 2019 12:13 pm  #4

AMFM wrote:

Zzzzzzzzzzz

You guys have any better ideas? Family Feud Canada is a great idea! 
It would be nice to come up with an original Canadian game show, but I'm not complaining.
At least an effort is being made to get a game show up and running.
I hope it does really well and lasts several years on CBC.

May 30, 2019 12:30 pm  #5

Knowing CBC they'll headline the first show with the "Anne's of Green Gables" vs "The Black Donnellys"

May 30, 2019 1:04 pm  #6

The Family Feud concept has been sold to a number of countries, why not Canada?

They're also bringing back "Battle of the Blades" this season.  I'll leave it to the reader to find out about it themselves if they've never heard of it.  But the show has done a great deal to get hockey players to want to learn the finer points of skating to become better hockey players.

May 30, 2019 1:49 pm  #7

I don't have any objection to a Canadian version of Family Feud or a remake of Battle of The Blades, per se. I think the real question is with all the money they siphon out of taxpayers to fund for their programming, this is the best they could come up with? A 1970's era American game show and a remake of an old talent contest on skates?

I would argue the CBC has really only had about three prominent hits in the past few years that attracted any major audience. "Schitt's Creek" has been a cult favourite in many places around the world. "Murdoch Mysteries" seems to have found a niche audience. And perhaps the endless reworkings of the various "Anne of Green Gables" story has resonated in some places. Other than that, I'm unable to find many successes. Maybe "Kim's Convenience?"

I don't watch any of them myself, and frankly, the CBC hasn't given me any reason to. But if you're looking to produce a series next year, here's a logline that the folks at the CBC won't be able to resist greenlighting:

"A transgender Indigenous woman fights to stop the Conservatives and climate change in Canada's north." 

Now that's a show you're sure to see on CBC sometime in the near future! 

May 30, 2019 3:14 pm  #8

RadioActive wrote:

I don't have any objection to a Canadian version of Family Feud or a remake of Battle of The Blades, per se. I think the real question is with all the money they siphon out of taxpayers to fund for their programming, this is the best they could come up with? A 1970's era American game show and a remake of an old talent contest on skates?

Dragon's den still managed to do good. I'm not sure what went wrong with 4 rooms...I guess people just weren't into it. The British version of both shows are still around today. (reruns?) 

The problem with going all out in spending for a game show is, if it's not a CBC original, it's just too costly to get the rights to some of the bigger shows.
CTV found this out with Who wants to be a Millionare Canada.

Maybe the solution is to rip off Greed (a "prematurely cancelled game show") and give it some new creative name.
Maybe make just the right changes so it's not the same game show.
Sort of like how ABC doesn't have to pay the BBC for the rights to air Dragon's den because they simply changed the name to Shark Tank... (something like that...???)

May 30, 2019 3:47 pm  #9

Actually, neither CBC nor ABC pay BBC for the rights because the show actually originated in Japan.

The format war originated by Nippon TV called "Tigers of Money"

The BBC doesn't come up with everything.

May 30, 2019 4:25 pm  #10

I just wonder if the teams will apologize to each other if they steal and win? It's only Canadian to say sorry eh?

In fact, I am sorry for this post...

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

May 30, 2019 7:02 pm  #11

In all sincerity, I do hope that la version francaise has been slated for air on SRC...  

May 31, 2019 1:45 am  #12

A Canadian game show that was brainy like Jeopardy, but that had regional winners, followed eventually by provincial champions would be cool, very CBC and involve the country with rivalries. Then have some sort of playoffs, and pit province against province for the yearly grand championship. A better version of "Reach For The Top" but not so staid, and for adults. La Belle Province vs. Upper Canada for the Poutine Cup!

I'm happy Battle of the Blades is making a return, it can be a hoot to watch, the picks on the figure skates always trip up even the best hockey players, literally and figuratively.

Or you could do an updated show of "The Dating Game" cause that wouldn't be difficult to resurrect in this new climate at all...

May 31, 2019 1:56 am  #13

Glen Warren wrote:

In all sincerity, I do hope that la version francaise has been slated for air on SRC...  

You make an excellent point. CBC gets rights for English, but not one also for a French version?
What's the plan there? Hire voice over people to talk in French? lol              

France has their own version, recently done in 2017 called  Une famille en or  
Maybe CBC's french Television can aim to air some of those episodes. 
(if they are unable to air a French Family Feud)
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Une_famille_en_or

June 4, 2019 8:16 pm  #14

Radiowiz probably won't be a fan of this article in Tuesday's Globe and Mail. But it's still worth a read. 

The CBC has no business chasing ad dollars with low-brow game shows

June 4, 2019 9:23 pm  #15

two things that I'm curious about...

i)  How much did CBC pay to Dismantle Media for the Canadian rights or licence? supplementary q: and for how many years?

ii)  Does CBC even have the human resources to mount this production (facilities? yes, of course...  some of the best in Canada... 'cause we all pay for it!)  But to run a show of this scope...  requires Producer(s), show  runners, writers, contestant screening/auditions, etc., etc.

My guess is that they do not, and it will (if it has not already) be farmed out to a group like John Brunton and Company at Insight...   just my hunch.

They say the show is coming this fall....  so all of the writing and auditions/selections has to happen soon, in order to start production.

Goodson & Todman (the original producers) had the luxury of using audiences from their other shows to answer and rank the questions for the FF survey questions.  What will CBC do?  Hire Ipsos Reid to perform an in depth telephone survey?  

just wondering....

June 5, 2019 2:03 am  #16

RadioActive wrote:

Radiowiz probably won't be a fan of this article in Tuesday's Globe and Mail. But it's still worth a read. 

The CBC has no business chasing ad dollars with low-brow game shows

Konrad Yakabuski is welcome to his opinion, I suppose.
I like to think CBC is doing the right thing. Canada needs more Canadian game shows (original or not)
HOWEVER,
God willing, City TV won't put the American Family Feud up against it in the same 7:30 timeslot...
(it IS City TV's right to do so...)