sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 16, 2019 2:19 pm  #1

Should Radio Ads for E-Cigs Be E-legal ?

I just heard a radio ad for Blu Canada on TSN 1050, with the cheery warning at the end of it that their vaping products "may contain nicotine", when of course some do contain the poisonous chemical.

With underage children, and young adults being the biggest consumers of these products, and ads for real cigarettes long being banned from advertising, how is it legal for vaping companies to promote their products on radio?

Last edited by betaylored (May 16, 2019 2:22 pm)

May 16, 2019 3:30 pm  #2

Re: Should Radio Ads for E-Cigs Be E-legal ?

Have to admit, I wondered about this myself after hearing something for what I think is called "Juul."

The only real difference is the delivery system for nicotine. I'm not big on banning things on air, but if you're going to put the hammer down on cigarette advertising on radio and TV, then surely these should face the same restrictions.

Yet if you go into your friendly neighbourhood gas station kiosk, there are displays all over the place - while the butts themselves are behind huge power walls. Seems like there are two separate rules for what in the end is the exact same thing. 

My prediction: as more kids get hooked and health agencies raise the alarm, the rules for e-cigs will eventually match their counterparts. How much damage will be done before then is anyone's guess.

May 28, 2019 12:14 am  #3

Re: Should Radio Ads for E-Cigs Be E-legal ?

Heard the same get your nicotine here ad for Blu E-Cigs on the evening show Monday night on Newstalk 1010. On good old upmarket CFRB.

I know radio stations need the bucks, and are also not in the business of deciding what people should do with their health. As RadioActive quite rightly pointed out, it's legal to advertise these products right now, but after hearing it a second time, it comes across as.. seedy. Not unlike the GNR am640 ads for that 'online trading academy' and god bless Alex Pierson, she's now voicing them. Oy. 😔