sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 22, 2019 12:49 pm  #1

WHAM 1180 Rochester noontime anthem

I recently discovered that WHAM 1180 in Rochester plays the Star-spangled Banner every day in the minutes before noon. They vary the renditions - today for example it was sung, by the Irondequoit Chorale.

Are there any stations on the Canadian side who do this? I remember seeing it as a nighttime signoff on television back in the 70s and mabe into the 80s, as well as at movie theatres. I remember only one part of the video, the clip of the high jumper who won silver at the 1976 Montréal Olympics (host nation Canada did not manage to win a single gold).

May 22, 2019 1:06 pm  #2

Re: WHAM 1180 Rochester noontime anthem

Garner Andrews at Sonic 102.9 Edmonton plays the Canadian anthem at the start of his show every morning.

May 22, 2019 2:20 pm  #3

Not quite the same thing, but I'm aware ultra-Conservative U.S. talk show host Mark Levin ends every Friday night broadcast of his syndicated program with the full version of Ray Charles singing "America The Beautiful."

No matter what side of the border or the political spectrum you're on, it's always great to hear anything by Ray Charles. What a terrific talent.

May 22, 2019 2:28 pm  #4

Speaking of The Star Spangled Banner, it was the song constantly playing as background music in the psychiatrist's office in an absolutely surreal and hilarious short film by comedian Steven Wright.

If you've never seen "The Appointments of Dennis Jennings," which tells the story of why a patient goes gunning for his shrink (played by Rowan Atkinson of Mr. Bean fame), it's incredibly funny and original. I especially love the newspaper headline that reads "Time Will No Longer Tell." It's just one of the many hidden gems in the award winning short.

If you love Steven Wright, this is a must see.  

May 22, 2019 3:32 pm  #5

I think that's a great idea.  Wish Canadian stations would do this.

The first time I heard something like this was on Sint Maarten about 20 years ago.  Radio station PJD2 in Phillipsburg would play the Saint Martin Song (“O Sweet Saint Martin’s Land") which is the de-facto local anthem, every day at noon.  I believe it still does.

Last edited by Peter the K (May 22, 2019 3:32 pm)

May 22, 2019 4:06 pm  #6

May 22, 2019 8:08 pm  #7

WYRK 106.5 Buffalo plays the National Anthem everyday at noon. They honour and dedicate this moment to a Western New York service man/woman. Nice touch.  Used to always hear it before their signal was taken over by ELMNT.

June 11, 2019 10:16 pm  #8

June 12, 2019 1:28 am  #9

WMIC AM-660 in Sandusky MI, talk / classic country, that can be heard in parts of western Ontario in the daytime, plays a different country version of the SSB each day at sign-off (915 PM Eastern time in June). They don't just dump the carrier and disappear. Actually, w most US daytimers, you're lucky to hear a still-required legal ID at sign-off.

July 25, 2019 10:24 pm  #10

This old thread is back because MyFM in Orangeville, of all places, has now started playing "O Canada" every day before the noon news. And they're hoping the trend spreads to other stations in the chain. 

Local radio station hoping to restore sense of pride in national anthem