sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 20, 2019 7:52 pm  #1

Long Weekend Rerolls: When Will We Hear The End Of Them?

The Victoria Day weekend brings up something I’ve long wondered about – stations going into endless rerolls for an entire day.

I turned on the radio Monday morning and I have to admit I was very surprised to hear CKTB in St. Catharines doing an actual live morning show, with a guest host, along with even a Roundtable on the :45s. Meanwhile, all the Toronto yakkers – with the exception of 680 News, which can’t take a day off, and The Fan - had reruns.

How is that CKTB regularly manages to have people working a stat (along with the overtime that inevitably ensues) but no one else either wants to or bothers? I’ve always been curious as to when we turned this corner, especially with a News/Talk format. The only thing staler than yesterday’s news is yesterday’s people commenting on it.

After that, 610 went into the same replay mode as everyone else. But here’s one other thing. Rather than doing a live morning show on a day when almost no one is getting up early, why not do a live drive home or evening show for all the people in cottage country who are stuck in the inevitable homebound traffic jam and for whom radio is probably the best way to pass the time?

I will never quite figure out why they don’t take the opportunity to have someone come in and entertain a de facto captive audience at a time when they just might need it most. (And by the way, it’s a holiday – I really didn’t expect 640 to reroll an old Employment Hour at 7 PM, but I guess paid time is paid time even on Queen Vicky's birthday.)

Hey, everyone deserves a day off. But sometimes catching the audience when they're likely to listen could be worth the extra bucks - especially if it means making an impression on them and that they might keep coming back when everything gets back to normal. 

May 20, 2019 8:21 pm  #2

Re: Long Weekend Rerolls: When Will We Hear The End Of Them?

I thought they were pretty good. Heard some segments I never heard before

It’s not like anything happened today

What would the talk radio topics be today?

May 20, 2019 9:33 pm  #3

Mr magoogain wrote:

I thought they were pretty good. Heard some segments I never heard before

It’s not like anything happened today

What would the talk radio topics be today?

I will give you that point - newsy topics are a bit sparse on a holiday, but Roy Green still managed to carry off a great weekend show on Corus and it would not surprise me a bit if Charles Adler is live on Monday night. (He's still half an hour off as I post this.) So it's possible to do some good radio without having to reach back to something that happened two weeks ago. 

On the other hand, I'll also concede it's a good chance to hear something you may have missed, although that's what podcasts are for. I'd still prefer live, though. I just feel that a live drive home show on a day when the long trek from cottage country can be grueling (and don't forget about the flooding up there) is a reasonable idea. 

I'm sure the powers that be don't believe it's worth the overtime.  

May 20, 2019 9:50 pm  #4

It would be a nice day to showcase some podcasts on various topics - movies, music and so on. 

May 20, 2019 11:47 pm  #5

Radioactive wrote:

and The Fan - had reruns.

True,  but Prime Time Sports was live from 5-7 (shortened due to Jays game) with Bob McCown hosting a 2 hour roundtable.