sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 19, 2019 11:15 am  #1

Did I Hear This Right? The Same Announcer On Two Competing Stations?

I have to admit I rarely listen to music radio stations anymore, so perhaps I’m terribly out of it. But on Saturday, I was tuning around the dial looking for something different and landed on Jewel 88.5. And that’s when I heard the jock for the show announce himself as Brian Peroff.

The same guy who’s the Music Director for AM 740? Apparently. According to his Linked-In page, Peroff has been at the Toronto station for the past 18 years. So what was he doing on a competitor? I have no idea. Even if that was some sort of syndicated thing, the two stations have wildly similar playlists and are certainly close competitors.

True, Jon Pole does shows for Bell and co-owns the My Fm station group. But both are very different audiences and formats and with its limited signals, My FM has no real presence in the Toronto market. You can't say that about Jewel 88.5.

Why would Zoomer Radio allow Peroff to do a show in a place that essentially plays the same thing as his regular job? I’m sure there’s a simple explanation for it, but I have no idea what it is. 

May 19, 2019 2:24 pm  #2

Re: Did I Hear This Right? The Same Announcer On Two Competing Stations?

It goes further back than today's date. http://jewel993.com/lounge-tonight-7-host-brian-peroff-jewel-99-3-26/=12px 

Last edited by Radiowiz (May 19, 2019 5:47 pm)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

May 19, 2019 3:27 pm  #3

I received an off-board email suggesting that he left the station a long time ago. As noted, I haven't listened to them in any regular way for a very long time, so it's possible. But you'd think he would have updated his Linked-In page to reflect that.

Oddly, there's not a single mention of Peroff's name on the Jewel 88.5 site, either. I did a search and nothing came up. 

May 19, 2019 4:08 pm  #4

I think he's been gone from Zoomer for a while.  I remember hearing him on Jewel when I was in Ottawa for a few days back in 2017.

May 19, 2019 4:13 pm  #5

If that's the case, it makes sense. That's what I get for not paying more attention to the music outlets here. As the old SNL character Emily Litella might say, "That's very different. Never mind!"

May 19, 2019 5:39 pm  #6

My recollection is he retired from 740 with proper on-air acknowledgement and thanks. He really knows 'popular' music. I listen to his current program The Lounge on Jewel 92.1 Brantford when my nerves are bad.